Regular Contributor

The garden spinners that change color at night time???? Help please.

Do you bring them in during winter or leave them outside in the freezing weather? I was bringing my bulb in during rain but noticed it  can handle the rain.  I just don't know about the winter.  Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

Re: The garden spinners that change color at night time???? Help please.

Bring them in to moderate temps for winter storage. They have chemicals in them that make the color changes. The chemicals are altered negatively by severe cold.  If your winter temps get as low as freezing, you need to store the spinners. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree...you want to bring this one inside....

I have regulaer Plow and Hearth spinners and they do fine in the winter months...

Trusted Contributor

I have had my Plow and Hearth solar spinner for going on it's third winter  We live in a very windy area of Western NY, so my husband reinforced the pole as the wind was bending it.  The spinner spins pretty much all day and night.  The colored fins are faded but it still lights up every night spinning away. 

Respected Contributor

I have several spinners and had some trouble with the threading between the poles wearing down.  Finally I figured out a solution to keep them straight and withstand the high winds we have where I live.  I had a piece of sprinker conduit that was about 4 feet long.  It slipped right over the pole.  You could paint it if you like, but for me, I like the white.  I think it was the 1" size.  

......You look like I need a drink.....