Esteemed Contributor

The Scent of This Flower Will Curl Your Toes

[ Edited ]

Our brown beauty southern magnolia has the most beautiful flowers and the scent makes us swoon. The leaves are beautiful also. Heartmagnolia flower.jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Re: The Scent of This Flower Will Curl Your Toes

Beautiful, waxy flowers.  Don't you wish you could preserve one forever?  Thanks for sharing with us.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Yes, and it would be wonderful if Harry Slatkin could capture this in a candle. Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

Our brown beauty southern magnolia has the most beautiful flowers and the scent makes us swoon. The leaves are beautiful also. Heartmagnolia flower.jpg

I moved to the Southeast 4 years ago and one of the things I like the best are the magnolias.  We have 2 magnolia trees.  One as tall as our house.  Just about everyone in our neighborhood has one and to drive thru it when they're in bloom is just wonderful and so beautiful!

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy   At my previous home, the neighbor whose backyard backed onto my back yard had an enormous Magnolia tree with flowers the size of which I had not seen before.  Fortunately, some branches hung over our patio so I enjoyed them immensely while there.

Esteemed Contributor

We've always had magnolias, I loved to climb them when I was a child. The branches are low enough to grab, I could be hidden among the blooms and sweet scent! 
 Now I only have a smaller variety, but it's loaded with blooms. There are several on my street, some large ones.

I have a magnolia Summer wreath on the front door and small flag.

The gardenias are gone now, burned from the Summer heat. They don't survive my care but I love them! 
             🏡  🌳

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep , now that is perfection!  How old is the tree? Thanks for posting.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom I don't know how old it was when we purchased it from a nursery. It was about 4' tall at that time and full of blooms. We planted it three years ago on Earth Day and it is about 6' tall now. We so love it. 

Honored Contributor

If only we had the space for a Southern magnolia! We have a 15' magnolia called 'Jane'. It's getting its 2nd bloom now. 

Whenever I cut branches to prune it, the sap smells lovely. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I have a couple of magnolia trees that grew wild on my property.   I bought the land uncleared,  and after we built our home and cleared some land i saw a few magnolia trees here.  One is not too far off my back lanai and I see the birds flying in and out of it...they go from my feeders back to the tree.  One my horses likes to eat the fallen flowers.   I recently bought a Gardenia bush...i hope it does ok and produces flowers next year.