Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Deer Are Eating My Flowers!

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom 

The deer roam my yard and come up to my front porch. They eat everything, they wiped out the buds  on my  Hostas, Zinnias, lilies, pansies and holyholcks .  I have resorted to using chicken wire fencing  that I put around and dome it over plants . I put  faux  flowers  & faux  drapping succulents in my front porch urns. Nothing keeps the deer from eating . They can crawl under  or jump into a fenced garden .

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

Eat the deer and problem solved.

Honored Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

Yes, but not everyone likes venison.  Smiley Wink  

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr 

Season woman! Throw some ketchup on them.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   I have a lot of plants to protect so I save money by making my repellent.  One gallon includes eggs (3), milk (3T), cayenne pepper (3T), and garlic cloves (3).  Puree well in a blender, strain the mixture, and add enough water to make a gallon.  It gets better if you let it "ripen" for a day or more; just remember to vent the jug occasionally as gasses build up inside.  The repellent also works on rabbits and other critters.

Super Contributor

I recommend Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent. It works for us. Follow the directions, and it works great. You can buy it at any home improvement store. 

Esteemed Contributor

@reviewer from sc wrote:

I recommend Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent. It works for us. Follow the directions, and it works great. You can buy it at any home improvement store. 

@reviewer from sc  That's what I use, but I hate that I have to redo it so often. Also, this year the deer started eating my flowers much earlier than usual. They beat me to the punch.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@PA Mom-mom   I have a lot of plants to protect so I save money by making my repellent.  One gallon includes eggs (3), milk (3T), cayenne pepper (3T), and garlic cloves (3).  Puree well in a blender, strain the mixture, and add enough water to make a gallon.  It gets better if you let it "ripen" for a day or more; just remember to vent the jug occasionally as gasses build up inside.  The repellent also works on rabbits and other critters.

@ValuSkr  Sounds really stinky... and explosive! But I'm pretty sure its effective.

Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

@Malcontent  Believe me, if we were allowed to hunt in our area we would be doing it. Except for hand to horn combat, I don't think we have any recourse. And certainly not in the summer. My son-in-law and grandchildren harvest at least 5 deer a year, but that's in MD. They do their own butchering and also make jerky and bologna. It's all great!

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Malcontent wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

Yes, but not everyone likes venison.  Smiley Wink  

@ValuSkr  I agree, some people don't like venison. I don't know why. Perhaps it hasn't been prepared correctly, or maybe they just don't like the idea of eating deer meat. I, on the other hand, really like it. It's lean and not gamey if butchered and prepared well.