Honored Contributor

Re: The Bluebird Has Laid Eggs

@Dazlin   I haven't seen the female in a couple of days.  I haven't checked on the box either since I really can't see anything.  I was worried about them yesterday, because I didn't see the male until the afternoon.

My nest box is in the back of the house, though, and I have to be in my bedroom, the kitchen, or my screened in porch to see it.  It's been cool here for a few days (down in the 40's at night), and I haven't been sitting on my porch.

I'm sure she's incubating the eggs now and think she started about three days ago.  I need to figure out when I think hatch date will be.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I think they laid around the 7th...thats when I saw mine had 4 eggs and think you said you saw the female in yours too.  I believe they sit for 14 days, then hatch.  Then the babies can fledge any time from around 16th day up to 21.   Im bet your female is sitting all night.

My last hatch, we had a few cool nights in the 40s, and I was worried about the babies, but the parents took exceptional care of them, busy ALLLLLL day.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The five eggs have just hatched! We are supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow and freezing temps on Thursday. I do have plenty of live meal worms ready, though.

175511863_10225969593292932_3724138091402972956_n.jpg

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

That's great @morganjen !  I'm worried about our weather, too.  It's supposed to be in the low 30's on Wednesday night and be cold for several days.  I hope the female is able to keep the eggs warm enough.  I trust she knows what she's doing.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I saw yesterday 1 baby has hatched.

I checked this morning after I saw the male or female fly out, and there's still 3 eggs not hatched.  Ill keep an eye.

Anything by you?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack , I saw yesterday 1 baby has hatched.

I checked this morning after I saw the male or female fly out, and there's still 3 eggs not hatched.  Ill keep an eye.

Anything by you?

@Dazlin   I haven't checked.  It's just too hard for me to see anything with having to take the pictures to see.  You wouldn't believe how high the nest is built.  I'll look again when I see them bringing food to the babies.  I don't think they've hatched yet because there's no activity like that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I think we both had eggs around the same time, so you should see something soon.  I'm a little concerned because only 1 egg hatched, that I saw yesterday.  Should be 1 every day, so I hope they're fertile, and ok.  Ill check tomorrow morning.   My nest is only about half way up, but I should stand on step stool to see in...im only 5'1".  

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I hope all of your bluebird's eggs are fertile, too.  I've been watching to see if mealworms were being taken to the nest box for babies.  I do hope it's soon.  I was thinking you were a couple of days ahead of me.

It's been cold here lately, and I've been worried about them.  Two nights ago it was 32 degrees, and last night was 36.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , the 3 eggs are still there, not hatched.   It's been about 4 days now since one hatched.  The mother is there.  I'm wondering if I should remove the eggs soon?  

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I would not remove the eggs.  I trust Sialis.org for all things bluebird.  They say never remove the eggs unless you are 200% sure the nest has been abandoned.  http://sialis.org/eggsunhatched.htm

They may still hatch, and you would have removed viable eggs.

-Henry David Thoreau