Honored Contributor

I have a tall 28" self-watering planter and I'm not sure I understand how to water the plants I put in there.  It has one of those trays so that you don't have to fill up the whole planter with soil. Then the bottom part - which is about 2/3 of the planter is supposedly for the self-watering part.  

Not being used to using such tall planters, this self-watering part doesn't make sense to me.  I'd have to keep the thing filled up for the self watering part to work and there is no way to fill up the self-watering section except from the top?  Or, if i didn't do that and just watered my plants as usual, how does it drain?  The water would just stay in the bottom part all summer?  Then I'd have to dump everything out and turn the planter over to get the water out?  Having water sit in the planter all summer doesn't sound good to me.   Am I making any sense at all?  LOL  The holes for the water overflow are at the top of the self-watering section so those won't drain water until the planter is almost full!

I really like the looks of the planter but just not sure how it's supposed to work.  The pic below is how mine looks but in white and without flowers - for now.  Thanks for your help!

Esteemed Contributor

Have no clue but if those pretty things look complicated.....I just keep walking.  Somebody here will have an answer for you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tall Planter Question

[ Edited ]

Found this info at us.goMayne website. Hope this helps.

It says on their site Drainage holes to be pre-drilled by customer, if the planter is to be used outdoors. I also read you don't have to use the self watering part that you can just fill with soil. If that was the case I would buy a regualr pot.

A QUICK GUIDE TO SELF-WATERING PLANTERS – THE BEST GARDENING UPGRADE

Self-watering planters are a perfect addition to any space because they help solve a host of different issues involved with growing plants. Whether you are someone who is always on the go and might not have a lot of extra time to tend to your garden, or if you’re someone who lives in a place where the climate is constantly hot and dry – self-watering planters are your magic solution!

Contrary to popular belief, self-watering planters DON’T water themselves. Instead, these planters have a water reservoir underneath the planting area (or planting basin). This space collects all the excess water from the soil and stores it just below the plant – sort of like a little water tank.

Once the plant’s roots have had time to grow, they are able to draw up as much water as is needed from the water reservoir, through the process of osmosis. This keeps your plants happy and consistently hydrated without the hassle of daily watering.

A Formidable Self-Irrigation System:

Regular watering is still needed for the first couple of weeks after filling the planter. This gives the roots ample time to develop a resilient root system. With this reservoir system in place, you will find the potting mix stays moist longer than when using traditional planters. In the long run, just make sure that the water level in the water reservoir is maintained and you can completely move away from your regular watering schedule.

As an added feature, Mayne self-watering planters* come with an overflow drainage hole. With constant drainage, there is no way to overwater or flood your roots. So, you do not need to worry about root rot. Any excess water will just drain out so you can rest easy knowing your plants are well taken care of. As Mayne planters can be used both indoors and outdoors during all 4 seasons, these additional features ensure your plants are neither over-watered nor dehydrated all year round!

Self-watering Planters Best Practices:

• If you live in a colder climate, make sure you drain any excess water from the reservoir before winter hits. This ensures that the water doesn’t freeze within the planter, which might then lead to any bulging or damage to the planter itself.
  • If you are going to be away from your planter for a few days, make sure you have direct access to the water reservoir and top up the water content as needed. Mayne planters have a double-wall design that allow you to drill a ¾ inch hole straight to the reservoir. (A rubber plug to cover this hole is included with all Mayne self-watering planters)
  • Self-watering planters are great for plants like African Violets and Snake plants that are prone to fungal disease if their leaves get wet. Again, make sure that during the initial few weeks, the watering is done from above and then just directly water your plant using the built-in sub-irrigation system.
  • This type of planter is not a good option for plants that do not thrive in constant moist conditions – think cacti and succulents. Understanding your plant’s unique requirements will help you in the decision-making process of choosing a planter.

Let’s be honest – container gardening can be tricky for both experienced and novice gardeners alike, given how inconsistent different plants’ needs are. For instance, watering your plants every other day for a week might work out fine, and the same regime on another week can totally drown your topsoil. This is exactly where self-watering planters’ step in, add some consistency and ensure you enjoy your plants for longer periods of time.

*Not all Mayne planters are self-watering – please refer to individual product specs for further clarity.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz - Thanks, that does help some.  All I could find were the overlfow holes and the drainage holes in the plastic shelf thing.  I'll plant something in it this year and just treat it like a regular pot.  At the end of the season, I will dump everything out like I would any other planter.