Respected Contributor

Talked with WEEKS ROSES ABOUT DON JUAN

I stopped in at the nursery where I buy all my Rose's. Unfortunately the owner was not in today, but a worker suggested pruning back Don Juan to shock it into producing new blooms. I've never heard of that?? As I've posted before, I planted this last spring, growing like crazy, but putting out new canes from existing canes(not from the stock). So I wrote to Weeks nursery, and someone I spoke to at Weeks nursery(manufacturer from California), said to ask the owner if anyone had this problem with DonJuan, and maybe not prune it back.
Obviously I didn't get anywhere with them.
My original question was, why or what can I do because I'm not getting any blooms or buds from only this rose bush. All others treated same, and doing well. I read all previous posts, and thank you...this is the latest info I got. What's your thoughts...prune it...leave it....wait till fall....then maybe burn it🔥😉
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Talked with WEEKS ROSES ABOUT DON JUAN

@Dazlin, sorry you are having a problem with your roses.  I don’t have one rose in my garden so I am no help to you.  Keep up the search for answers though.  Good luck from a fellow gardener!  LM

Respected Contributor

My elderly Don Juan only blooms on the terminal ends of canes, so if I prune it, it won't bloom for a long time, as it has to put out new canes from the last budding joint below where I cut the cane off.  Since your bush is so new, just planted this spring, I would not recommend pruning it until late fall/early winter, whenever you would normally prune your roses based on local weather conditions.  Only remove the canes you can't train to stay along your fenceline, remove any deadheads you do get (on any of your roses) back to the first leaf below the bloom that has five leaflets to it, and keep it watered, and as the growth matures it will start to bloom.

Respected Contributor

Thanks cammilleP. I read your post last time, I did only prune off the ones not along the fence. They were shooting out towards the driveway. I also trimmed some skinny ones. I hope I did ok. I'll leave it be now until cooler weather or preferably spring, since everything continues growing here. I'm kinda done with it, asking and searching all over. I'll just fertilize and water as needed, and surely take the advice here!
If it doesn't behave by next spring ...you guess what!
I'll add, I'm seriously wondering if all the care and time, not to mention money, is worth it all. I love flowers and willing to do the above, but for the last few months, all I'm getting is rotten leaves, and few blooms. Same for my Plumbago, shasta daisies I started from seeds are all leaves so far with bug holes. I spray everything too. Impatiens and marigolds doing good...oh, and parsly🙄 I'm getting a few Rose's here and there from other bushes, but most of my Rose's do better in early spring...that's about it☹ I'm in steamy, humid Florida. Something I shall reconsider as far as plants.