Esteemed Contributor

Re: TULIPS AND GRAPE HYACINTHS

Gorgeous, @BklynKinsey !

My favorite red tulip is "Red Riding Hood".  The foliage is attractive even after the flowers have faded (I think it's a "greigii" tupli and tends to naturalize more freely).

I have lots of grape hyacinths.  They pop up wherever they please and eventually we have to mow them down, as they come up in the lawn.  They even show up in the woodland - ants carry the seed coat for food and they end up depositing the actual seed in all sorts of places.

I hate dealing with bulb foliage, though, after they've bloomed.  My daffs and jonquils are lovely but the whole thing looks messy right now.  C'mon, black eye susans!  Cover this up for me, please!

It looks like you have roses, and what is the plant to the right in the bottom of the picture?

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@BklynKinsey  Gorgeous garden - you give me hope !

Super Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   The tulips are from Colorblends -- Best Red, Best Red-Yellow and Flama Verna.  They always give a great "show."  In the top photo, in the bottom right corner is a peony (magenta) yet to come.  The thin foliage next to it is from the miniature irises that are already finished  and just peaking out at the bottom are lambs' ears.  In the second photo at the bottom left is foliage for Spanish bluebells also yet to come.

Respected Contributor

@BklynKinsey So pretty!  Why do you pull up the bulbs?  Because of the foliage?  I enjoy mine for years.  LM