Respected Contributor

Suggestions for bird houses...

I live in central Florida, and have mostly cardinals, finches, and hummingbirds. Too many Doves too...they eat all day! There are other breeds,like Robin's and blue Jay's, but only for short periods. I'd like to hang a bird house.
Is there anything I should choose in particular?
Also...where to place it...away, or near feeders?
How high? We get snakes 😡
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suggestions for bird houses...

You might want to get a bird book from the library for Florida type birds.  I do know birds are fussy - use nests and houses for having their young and then fly way.  .  They don't "live" in them (as an older friend of mine believed)  Every bird wants a different type so it's a job I don't concern myself with.  Feed them - watch them - and let them pick their own 'hotel'.

Trusted Contributor

We have a feeder that looks like a little cabin with a peaked roof that opens up on the one side to pour the seed into.

The birdhouse lets the seed down on either side and the birds perch on that side lip on both sides.

We have a downwards facing cone on the supporting pole to deter squirrels.

We feed the birds the Country Mix in 20 pound bags from Menards.

A mix of birds show up including wrens, chickadees, sparrows, cardinals, blue jays and blackbirds ( the red-winged make the most beautiful trill).

The mourning doves, which I love, and the squirrels (grey, red and black) all dine companionly together beneath the feeder.

One in awhile the woodpecker shows up too.

I know the red winged hawk has to eat too, but I run out to scare him/her away.

We used to have ducks appear too, but not in a year or so.

I love to see my feathered friends!

Respected Contributor

Looking into houses, not feeders...lol
Esteemed Contributor

I thought you were asking about bird HOUSES - each bird has it's own likes and dis-likes.  Hummingbirds (for example) build a tea cup size nest in thick low hedges - like around a swimming pool.

A blue bird likes a wood looking house with a single round hole to exit & enter

A robin - well you've seen those - a round straw with mud in the crotch of a tree  - just large enough for mama bird to get her bottom side in to cover and keep eggs warm until hatching

Some birds like a 'sling' type that acts like a rocking chair as the wind blows

Bluejay would need a much larger nest - it's a large bird (I've never seen one that I know)

Chickadees - never looked it up

Bird houses must be kept clean and cleaned after every season

Best not to encourage bluejays or other big birds near house or feeders = they steal bird eggs and eat the baby birds.

Like I said - get a book about the type of bird you are trying to attract.  It's great to learn something new every day.  Google is my second home!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DazlinI have purchased a couple really nice bird houses from ETSY website.  My birdhouses are for smaller birds like chickadees and sparrows.  The openings are small maybe around  1 1/2 inches, so bigger birds can't move in.  I have the houses in and near my flower gardens and bird baths.  Hummingbirds make little tiny pouch nests in trees in the woods, I've seen a couple and can't believe how little they are.

Esteemed Contributor

Wild Birds Unlimited is where we've bought our birdhouses and feeders.   They have everything you need including books to educate you in what certain birds like.   Of course most do not feel safe out in the open.   We have all of ours facing east at the edge of the woods.   Aong with  a heated bird bath for winter.  Clean birds are happy birds!!

Respected Contributor

@fthunt ...yes thanks...I am looking for houses, thanks for info.  🙂 I'm heading out today to go look at what's available. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make sure the bird house doesn't have a post to perch on either. Predators have it really easy when a perch is on the house.

As someone said, hole size is important to attract a certain sized bird.

There should be an easy to open roof or back to clean out the nest once the birds are done with their brood. By your cleaning it out, it removes disease and mites that could kill or harm the next brood to nest in there.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I picked up a birdhouse today at Lowes, and also a cute lighthouse feeder. I was trying to send pics here, but I cant seem to get size down to fit in order to post. I've posted pics here before, but they keep updating my phone and now seems everything is too large. I'll keep trying.
Anyway, I think the birdhouse I got is perfect...I hung it under a tree