Super Contributor

Re: Suggestions for Salvia Similar to Hot Lips

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Wahoogaz.  You might be interested in this excellent book which you can order at Target.com.  The person from whom I bought my house in West Texas left her copy and I've about worn it out.

Screenshot_20190114-144637.jpg

Wow, thanks for showing me this. I'll definitely order it.

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

I've tried growing a few different salvia over the last two years without a lot of luck; however, the Hot Lips plants seem to love my growing conditions. The 4 I planted have all done great and the cuttings I took before the weather turned cold are also doing well. 

As much as I love the Hop Lips plants, I'd like to have some other varieties, too.

Does anyone have suggestions for salvia that are similar to Hot Lips - as far as growing conditions? I know the plant catalogs will be coming soon, so I want to start getting ideas.

All the salvia I purchased so far have been from local nurseries, so I would have thought they'd do well here ... not so. The employees aren't very helpful when I ask questions about what the plants may need that I'm not providing.

I'm in southern NM, so they get full hot sun all summer.  The soil is very dry - with good drainage.

Thanks!

@Wahoogaz  Salvia Greggi has similar flowers.  I grow over forty types of Salvia. Smiley Happy  I have several of the Salvia Greggi red flowered plants also, what color flowers are you interested in?

Super Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote 

@WahoogazSalvia Greggi has similar flowers.  I grow over forty types of Salvia. Smiley Happy  I have several of the Salvia Greggi red flowered plants also, what color flowers are you interested in?

I'd love to be able to have a variety of flower colors, but flower color is secondary to plants that live/grow.