Super Contributor

Suggestions for Salvia Similar to Hot Lips

[ Edited ]

I've tried growing a few different salvia over the last two years without a lot of luck; however, the Hot Lips plants seem to love my growing conditions. The 4 I planted have all done great and the cuttings I took before the weather turned cold are also doing well. 

As much as I love the Hop Lips plants, I'd like to have some other varieties, too.

Does anyone have suggestions for salvia that are similar to Hot Lips - as far as growing conditions? I know the plant catalogs will be coming soon, so I want to start getting ideas.

All the salvia I purchased so far have been from local nurseries, so I would have thought they'd do well here ... not so. The employees aren't very helpful when I ask questions about what the plants may need that I'm not providing.

I'm in southern NM, so they get full hot sun all summer.  The soil is very dry - with good drainage.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for Saliva Similar to Hot Lips

OP:  Can you go back in and correct the spelling for salvia?  I was thinking the post belonged under wellness!  I'm sure spell check did that do you!  Don't want folks to gloss over your thread!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Google Salvia Finder. It shows Salvia Finder- Flowers by the Sea. You can go there to click on your zone, hardy perennials, full sun etc to see a list of Salvia that should do well in your area.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

OP:  Can you go back in and correct the spelling for salvia?  I was thinking the post belonged under wellness!  I'm sure spell check did that do you!  Don't want folks to gloss over your thread!Woman Happy

LOL!!! Good Catch. I did not even notice that. I automatically thought about the flowers.  

Super Contributor

Re: Suggestions for Salvia Similar to Hot Lips

@Krimpette wrote:

Thanks ... Done.

That's what happens when the pool cleaners show up and the dogs go crazy ... I sent it before I had a chance to read it myself.

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz. It's kinda funny, actually.....I hadn't read the category so I was curious as to what saliva had to do with hot lips!!!Woman LOL

Super Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@Wahoogaz. It's kinda funny, actually.....I hadn't read the category so I was curious as to what saliva had to do with hot lips!!!Woman LOL

Ha!

I know you were really disappointed when you saw what it was really about Smiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

The salvia that is all over the Albuquerque area and loves hot weather is one called autumn sage (it's not a sage).  The plant itself looks like hot lips but the flower is shapped differently and comes in red, hot pink and pink.  There are also heat loving salvias that come in shades of blue and purple.  I've gotten them at Lowe's.  The other landscape mainstay is Russian sage which is a large plant that puts out plantlets at its base and can be invasive.  Lastly, one of my favorites is Texas sage which is a plant with small silvery gray leaves that puts out a pink flower when it rains.  I suppose an increase in humidity triggers it.  I think it comes in a dwarf version; the regular can get 4' high.  I've seen it at Lowe's and Home Depot.  Don't forget the versitile crepe myrtle which likes hot, takes full sun, and is drought tolerant.  Comes in many sizes and colors; can be a tree or hanging basket.

All of the above are perennials. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz.  You might be interested in this excellent book which you can order at Target.com.  The person from whom I bought my house in West Texas left her copy and I've about worn it out.

Screenshot_20190114-144637.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Kachina624Thank you for the recommendations.

I haven't tried Autumn Sage or the Texas Sage. I'll see if any of my local stores carry them this Spring. I had Russian Sage on the east coast and it was too invasive for me. I tried 2 blue salvia this past season - 'Black and Blue' and the other I can't remember right now. Unfortunately, none survived and the local nursery folks weren't helpful at all with why they didn't do well.