Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Those are nice looking Chicks and Hens, I'm on the look out for the cactus soil mix.

@Sydney  I've gotten it at Lowe's.  I also got a bag of play sand (used in sandbox) and mix it with potting soil to make my own cactus mix.  I've got fine crushed gravel in my back yard and throw some of that in too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@pattypeep What do you do with your bowl in the winter?  I guess I should ask what zone you're in too.

You said they are hardy.  Do you leave them out all year?  Do you keep them in an unheated area in the winter?  Water them during the winter?l

I want to put some in containers but want to know know how they do in the winter.  I'm zone 7.

@esmerelda  My mom had a rock garden with hen & chicks when she lived near Philadelphia.  They were out all winter and thrived so they'll take the cold. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sydney  I've gotten it at Lowe's.  I also got a bag of play sand (used in sandbox) and mix it with potting soil to make my own cactus mix.  I've got fine crushed gravel in my back yard and throw some of that in too. 

What's the sand to soil ratio?

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH  I just sort of eyeball it but maybe 40% sand 60% soil.  Unless there is fertilizer in the potting soil I also add some Osmocote Time Release fertilizer in the proportions listed on the package. 

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda et al, I am in zone 5.  I use a cracked bird bath as a planter for succulents.  I don't take it insid in winter and I don't water it either.  They survive well.  You gotta be tough to be in my garden!!!  LM

PS, one of my friends put beautiful coloured marbles in her succulents container.  Looked very nice.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom Thanks for that!  I have a cracked birdbath too and plan on using it.  Do you have it on a pedestal or on the ground?  I imagine both would work...depending on placement.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda, hi!  I have mine on the ground.  LM

Super Contributor

I have mine outdoor in pots.   

I don't do well with succulents inside.  I think I add to much water when they're inside.   

Good luck with yours...

Super Contributor

twopeas, these are beautiful..  how long did it take to get that big? Love them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@thyme Patty wrote:

twopeas, these are beautiful..  how long did it take to get that big? Love them. 

@thyme Patty Thank you. I honestly can't remember for sure when I potted them up, but I'm going to guess 3-5 years.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein