Honored Contributor

Does anyone have experience with these types of plants?  Any advice for an indoor garden would be appreciated, I have 3 small plants that I'm planning to plant together.

Honored Contributor

They need well-drained soil.  A cactus soil mix is good or add sharp sand to potting soil.  Lot of very bright light.  Water only when dry. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH I don't have any of them indoors, but have lots outside in a rocky bank. For indoors, I would think that a shallow bowl would look best. Perhaps put small rocks around the plants.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH I just went outside and snapped a picture of hens and chicks that I have in a semi low bowl. They are about ready to bloom. I don't know how they do inside, though, but they're hardy and spread a lot.

0623171721 (600x800).jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep  Your hen and chicks is spectacular.  Please snap another picture when they bloom.  I've never seen them bloom. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 Thank you. Will do a picture when they open. I was surprised that so many are blooming at once. Maybe they like to be crowded. ??

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep What do you do with your bowl in the winter?  I guess I should ask what zone you're in too.

You said they are hardy.  Do you leave them out all year?  Do you keep them in an unheated area in the winter?  Water them during the winter?l

I want to put some in containers but want to know know how they do in the winter.  I'm zone 7.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@pattypeep What do you do with your bowl in the winter?  I guess I should ask what zone you're in too.

You said they are hardy.  Do you leave them out all year?  Do you keep them in an unheated area in the winter?  Water them during the winter?l

I want to put some in containers but want to know know how they do in the winter.  I'm zone 7.

@esmerelda I live in the PNW and I leave it ouside all year. I know, right? We had a lot of snow this year, too, and they faired well. The pot sits in full sun all day. I originally started the pot as a "nursery pot" to use the hens and chicks in other parts of the yard as they fell off. One of my dogs thinks it is his personal pee pole and it doesn't phase the hens and chicks in the least. Adversely, anyway.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Those are nice looking Chicks and Hens, I'm on the look out for the cactus soil mix.

Honored Contributor
@SydneyH, I found cactus soil at Walmart. This is my first year trying them. I have mine in a smallish planter, with gravel on the bottom, then the cactus soil and have small stones around the plants.
"To each their own, in all things".