Honored Contributor

I am having the front yard re-landscaped...unless the landscape company tells me I can leave it, I need to move the hydrangea...but it would still need to be moved to another location with in the front yard lanscape.

The question is, am I able to control the size of the bush without killing it?  I do trim it late winter early spring but I don't trim it to a small bush size.  I might find a  space with in the  new landscape, if it would be safe to really cut it back to a smaller scale.

Any advice is appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Strawberry Hydrangea

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs , as you know, these can get to be quite a size.  I moved one of mine last year.  After consulting with garden experts locally here is what I did.

In the Fall, I did a root prune around the drip line of the shrub.  Take a spade and make a ring around the shrub.  This will make it easier to dig up and will stimulate new root growth in the new location.  Have the hole dug and prepared before you dig up the shrub.  Water well and mulch in new location.  Make sure to give this shrub lots of room as it gets quite large.

I moved mine when it was dormant in the Spring.  It was big but we made the move.  Now the shrub is three months in its new location and is loaded with blooms.  Moving during dormancy is easiest if you can do it.

Good luck!  LM

PS, as to trimming the shrub, as a general rule of thumb, you can trim up to 1/3 at a time.  Of course, if you trim now, you will be losing this year's flowers.

If you do wait to move it, have the landscapers prep the new hole so all you have to do in the Spring is move the shrub.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Lilysmom1 

I think I will move the bush and trim back as far as possible, after it blooms.

I will need to keep the size in check in the new location.  The landscaper can prep the new site when he comes to landscape the front yard.

I did not realize how big they got..my fault..I was caught off guard by the beauty of the flowers!  I had two bushes, and gave one to a friend.  It is thriving in its new home.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs , yes they get huge.  I gave my biggest one a good trim last Fall.  LM