Honored Contributor

Re: Strange Robin

[ Edited ]

@Tabbycat   

@Tabbycat wrote:

Hi @Kachina624  I think there's a great chance this bird tape will keep your swallows away. That must be maddening!  For less than $10, it would be worth a try.

It keeps ALL birds off my porch and I live in the woods of NC. HTH

I did a quick google.....

Bird Repellent Tape

Bird repellent tape is also known as a multi-sensory attack that is used to scare the swallow birds. It is a sound tape that makes a sound when it flaps and moves in wind or air. It not only scares the swallows but also irritates them and encourages them to leave the treated areas. It is the most extremely effective known bird scare tape. This repellent tape is easily available at any nearby superstore at cheap rates. It is a long lasting solution to get rid of swallows. It works very simply and easily. The sunlight reflects the material of tape and irritates the birds. When it moves to, and fro in the wind, it makes char metallic sounds. This tape repellent is mostly used in open areas such as farms and other agriculture sites. It is also used to protect your property and agriculture fields from the destruction of other birds.

@Tabbycat wrote:

Hi @Kachina624  I think there's a great chance this bird tape will keep your swallows away. That must be maddening!  For less than $10, it would be worth a try.

It keeps ALL birds off my porch and I live in the woods of NC. HTH

I did a quick google.....

Bird Repellent Tape

Bird repellent tape is also known as a multi-sensory attack that is used to scare the swallow birds. It is a sound tape that makes a sound when it flaps and moves in wind or air. It not only scares the swallows but also irritates them and encourages them to leave the treated areas. It is the most extremely effective known bird scare tape. This repellent tape is easily available at any nearby superstore at cheap rates. It is a long lasting solution to get rid of swallows. It works very simply and easily. The sunlight reflects the material of tape and irritates the birds. When it moves to, and fro in the wind, it makes char metallic sounds. This tape repellent is mostly used in open areas such as farms and other agriculture sites. It is also used to protect your property and agriculture fields from the destruction of other birds.

Thanks so much for researching my swallow problem.  I'm going to try it; I'm sick of those messy birds that also dive-bomb anyone approaching my from door.  I'll have to figure out how to attach it to brick.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Hi @Kachina624.... If you decide to try the bird tape, it will need to be attached to something where it can move freely. (There is no sticky side)

I cut it in 3 ft. strips and tie it to the hanger hooks all down the length of my porch. It can be several feet away from where the nesting spot is. There is something in the holographic design that effects a birds optics and they don't come close to it. 

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Super Contributor

@JustJazzmom

yeah its a mystery why we are bombarded with them. house is from the 50's but windows are fairly new. we do have a 75-80 foot giant pine real close to house in back. internet said they live in trees and no exterminators spray can help!

they have about driven me bonkers!!  wish someone had an idea how to keep them from invading my house!  aside from cutting down the giant pine thats been there for decades!

i see 1-2 or 3 every day inside house!!  Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

@nougat.  I found this on Amazon.  Do you think it would help with your woodpeckers?

Screenshot_20180405-225051.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Update re our pesky robin.

We did try strips of cloth soaked in ammonia, but the odor didn't stick around too long.

So we ended up using aluminum foil on the awning part of the lower windows.  It is working pretty good, but looks quite strange.  Good thing our neighbors aren't close, but I am sure it can be seen thru the woods from the road.

Anyway to improve the look, I told husband I do have quite a few holographic flat snow flake shaped ornaments that I can dig out of storage and hang them.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624

thanks so much! its worth a try if they keep up their pecking!

i even hear them pecking trees close by. THANKS!

Respected Contributor

Re: Strange Robin

[ Edited ]

We had a robin that would just march on into our bedroom and pick a fight with that bird on the closet door (mirror). It was so funny to watch. He'd get all hissy fit and jump up about waist high chirping and squaking and pecking at the door. Scared the dogs but he never scared away that "strange" bird. Hope he comes back this year to try again.

Respected Contributor

Re: Strange Robin Update

[ Edited ]

Thought I would come back and update.  Our dear attack robin is still with us.  Now going systematically to all the windows.  We have figured out that it and its mate have claimed our house (underneath deck) for their nest building and are protecting "their" territory.  The robins and wrens would use this area for nest building but haven't done so in many years.  My DH keeps sweeping the nests down, but they are very determined.  We will have to screen the area in.