Respected Contributor

See if you can tell which are the before photos and which are the after photos......

They did not have any contract with me to do this. The contract is signed/dated/paid for by the next door neighbors. How is this legal? It's on my property. (there were  a small few branches about 2 feet, reaching a bit over to their property/covering their solar panels....) My Oak was across the front of my property, almost the entire front...giving me my ONLY shade.My tree is so large it's hard to get the entire tree. Their house is to the right in a salmon color paint. They also had that very tall pine behind them thinned out a lot. Don't care about that tree as it's not on my property.

FULL OAK ALMOST BEFOre HACK copy 3.jpg

MY OAK BEFORE CUTTING copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 3.04.01 PM.png

MY OAK THEY HACKED UP copy 2.JPG

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

Re: Still Mad About My Oak Tree

[ Edited ]

In the last photo you can still see the steel spike holes made all the way up the tree - This is illegal to do to an alive tree....it will kill a tree... someone tried to stuff mud into the large holes at the bottom of the trunk of the tree.... I do not know who but I'm guessing my neighbors did it. 

I'm happy to trim away from a neighbors property but the rest of the plants/trees are mine.

I'm an easy person and I never complain about either neighbor, their chickens, their long weeds, their trees into my yard..... their parties.....I keep quiet/no music, yada.... 

eta// I aways have tried to say hello through the fence and when I hear them or see them, but they do not reply, ever..... 

They did have a dog that looked in distress once/tied outside to a table...he cried for days....I watched him......and I did call for animal control to check on the dog to make sure it was ok.... I will fight for animals 1000%.... 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry that you are upset, but I've seen far worse hatchet jobs. Not a legal expert but I think people can trim trees hanging over their property and in this case, solar panels.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG Yes, if my anything is on their property they can ask me to have it removed. The first photo listed, is showing those branches removed from leaning over into their yard. I met my legal obligation to them. 

Their Tree Co., returned and kept cutting. 

I have no shade now at all - My Oak is sparce... I have no insulation in where I live. So I was very clear to leave my tree for shade - My health is at risk as well in the heat build up. My front garden has no shade and those plants are a mess too now... 

They've had 8 years to be nice, yet waited for this tree issue to come over and talk.. of course it was the husband, not his wife..... A man is much more intimidating...imho. They also were not honest with me... Said to now call them if I need anything...well that is a ridiculous comment after 8 yrs..... They knew my parents I believe...and me for sure as I ran my business here for many years.....

Ok, I can't do anything to make it grow back....and I've spoken of how I feel.... If you could really see the before/after, you'd think different I feel - thanks for replies.... 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

I'm confused.  When you first wrote about this, you said you yourself were having it thinned.  Frankly, I thought that was odd because you don't thin trees at this time of year.  Not only is it bad for the tree, nesting birds may be disturbed.

But now you say the neighbors are the ones who had the work done.

And so why did any tree workers think they could enter your property without your permission?

That poor oak was "lion-tailed."  You can look that up as being bad pruning practice.  Whoever hired them doesn't know a thing about anything.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

In my state it's legal to cut what is in the air hanging over your property line, that's it. Looks like tree company thinned your whole tree to let the sun reach your neighbors solar panels, that had to be planned ahead of time & it was done behind your back hoping you'd just let it go. Hope you plan to do something about it, I know I would. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach I don't remember saying 'thinned' as I do not even know what that is... 

YES, they messed it up terribly..... has do change font size to see...

I was so distraught that day I don't recall.... I ended up in bed ill from all of it...... I have the contract 'copy'..... and my head cleared up so now I am able to focus on what occurred in reality...  

I would call an Attorney but jeez, to go to court is exhausting and I'm not rich.... people have stopped by to tell me how horrible it is. 

I did call the Tree Company and the owner answered but I was crying so hard that he knew what he'd done.... I also emailed the neighbor....of my immense disappointment....they have not spoken to me again... I did say NOT to come onto my yard w/o calling me please - 

I am not going to scream and yell at some person/neighbor... I'm not that way...... I just retreat.... 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 YES !!! You get it.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

On the CONTRACT

It is signed/dated and the check # used to pay the Tree Company my neighbor hired (w/o my knowing)..... I'm looking at it and they list 2 addresses; mine and theirs......... (???)

The neighbors signed it - signed it in several places... and on my copy it says::: 

Remove one (can't read) tree, full to the ground.

One Oak Tree, that is in front of the house

Thinning out full tree

All the branches get (unreadable writing) 

Very poor handwriting on contract - I can read the check #'s, and the neighbors signatures/initials in several places. They also, CHANGED the cost (wrote over it) from $350 to $450 total.

On the printed part of the contract it is checked off "Wood Chips" NO. (they took away all the chips)

The date has been messed with too...or corrected. I do not know what they did nor their true intentions....

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

Am I allowed to put the Tree Companies name on here ?

-Do Not Copy Pls-