Honored Contributor

I have seen firsthand the damage squirrels can do in a house, so I totally agree with giving this fluffy tailed rodent a strong eviction notice!  

If allowed to stay, he and his entire family will show you exactly what rodents do.   

Honored Contributor

It has been entertaining to watch the squirrel build the nest.  We can see her from our enclosed back porch and watch her go to town in the corner of the yard...but we decided to get rid of the nest in the morning.

The shed or as I call it a garden closet...tall and not very wide, it's for looks really, it does not hold a lot.  The half round is from an old drop leaf table and is really only big enough (length and width) to hold 3 birdhouses....

We will add some screen to the back so we don't have a repeat build.

thanks everyone!

Honored Contributor

"Hi, @Mom2Dogs , pleased to meet you!"

;-)

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy ...So cute!

Esteemed Contributor

They are cute...but destructive....

It can cost you thousands of dollars in damage if they get into you house.

Esteemed Contributor

We have some large oak trees in our yard, so we are used to squirrels.  They have never done damage to our home.  For quite a while they would attack our bird feeders, but my DH frequents one of those specialty bird supply stores and found some feeders the squirrels can’t get into.

Of course, we live in a suburb with two land preserve areas nearby.  So we live with the bears in the warmer weather and cannot feed the birds.  That attracts bears like crazy.  So we all live together, no bears coming in our yard, and feeding the birds in the cold weather.  We love our home, and our yard is like living in a park.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@HLP wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

....a nest or 'something' in the yard.  

We have a decorative shed in the back yard. At the top of the shed near the roof, I attached a 1/2 round of wood, that holds 3 birdhouses...everything has been in the same location for 10+years. The birds next in the birdhouses.

Just today we wondered what the mess was around the birdhouses...a squirrel is sitting up there and looking at what appears to be his/her new home.  My husband then noticed the squirrel is bringing up leaves and sticks and making a home/nest on the half round of wood around the birdhouses!  

We no longer feed the birds because the squirrels were such an issue so I know they don't like the yard for the food.

Anyone have any advice...I don't think we want a squirrel living up there.

This is just so odd after all these years.

I'd love a nest of baby squirrels. Let him build for his bride.Too cute, you'll love them. Do you ever watch Ross the painter, he always has a baby in his shirt pocket? he adored them, think he has passed on but still on PBS.

@HLP You won't like it after a cold winter when they eat holes around the windows of your house trying to get in and you have to shell out $$$$ for new siding and having the second story painted.  NOT cute. 

I live in a brick house with vinyl windows. Still think their cute.

Honored Contributor

Once the rain stopped, we went out this morning with a long pole and got rid of the nest...we are glad that is was not near the house.  What a mess of 'stuff'...leaves, napkins, twigs.  So far she has not been back to rebuild.

Valued Contributor

@danedylan wrote:

used to loves squirrels!--not anymore!--I tried to feed the birds but of course they ate the seed themselves--I got suet and somehow they were able to eat that--so no more birdfeeders--the squirrels jumped on my railing to reach the bird bell that I had hanging pretty high--also--they make a mess by peeing etc--yuck--so now my deck is clean and no more fightting with the squirrels--I even saw them attacking my rose bush--I guess they were eating the buds--I even saw them climbing on the little tree my town planted on the curb that is starting to get little berries that will turn orange in the fall--I am looking forward to seeing that tree in the fall and hopefully there will be berries left by then!--so what I am saying is I think u should discourage them building a nest so close to ur backyard--they will take over--just my opinion--I know I would def not allow them to build a nest on my shed & I do have a shed & thankfully they won't be building anything on it!--they can chew a whole maybe on the roof etc.--I would just squirt them with a hose or something like that & maybe they will get the message--good luck!----marynj

I live in an apt..we just had to have the roof replaced because the squirrels had chewed through the roof...allowing water to seep in..ruined the celings. Same thing happened when I had my condo...I was walking up the stairs to my bedroom...and a squirrel had chewed through and popped his head out of the drywall..! Scared me to death..! Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

Many of my trees have squirrel nests, and once I actually saw a nest being built.  Around here, there is enough food for all without my having to put food out.