Honored Contributor

....a nest or 'something' in the yard.  

We have a decorative shed in the back yard. At the top of the shed near the roof, I attached a 1/2 round of wood, that holds 3 birdhouses...everything has been in the same location for 10+years. The birds next in the birdhouses.

Just today we wondered what the mess was around the birdhouses...a squirrel is sitting up there and looking at what appears to be his/her new home.  My husband then noticed the squirrel is bringing up leaves and sticks and making a home/nest on the half round of wood around the birdhouses!  

We no longer feed the birds because the squirrels were such an issue so I know they don't like the yard for the food.

Anyone have any advice...I don't think we want a squirrel living up there.

This is just so odd after all these years.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

We have a decorative shed in the back yard. At the top of the shed near the roof, I attached a 1/2 round of wood, that holds 3 birdhouses...everything has been in the same location for 10+years. The birds next in the birdhouses.

Just today we wondered what the mess was around the birdhouses...a squirrel is sitting up there and looking at what appears to be his/her new home.  My husband then noticed the squirrel is bringing up leaves and sticks and making a home/nest on the half round of wood around the birdhouses!  

We no longer feed the birds because the squirrels were such an issue so I know they don't like the yard for the food.

I'd love a nest of baby squirrels. Let him build for his bride.Too cute, you'll love them. Do you ever watch Ross the painter, he always has a baby in his shirt pocket? he adored them, think he has passed on but still on PBS.

Super Contributor

used to loves squirrels!--not anymore!--I tried to feed the birds but of course they ate the seed themselves--I got suet and somehow they were able to eat that--so no more birdfeeders--the squirrels jumped on my railing to reach the bird bell that I had hanging pretty high--also--they make a mess by peeing etc--yuck--so now my deck is clean and no more fightting with the squirrels--I even saw them attacking my rose bush--I guess they were eating the buds--I even saw them climbing on the little tree my town planted on the curb that is starting to get little berries that will turn orange in the fall--I am looking forward to seeing that tree in the fall and hopefully there will be berries left by then!--so what I am saying is I think u should discourage them building a nest so close to ur backyard--they will take over--just my opinion--I know I would def not allow them to build a nest on my shed & I do have a shed & thankfully they won't be building anything on it!--they can chew a whole maybe on the roof etc.--I would just squirt them with a hose or something like that & maybe they will get the message--good luck!----marynj

Esteemed Contributor

Doubt if it's just 'something".....if you really don't want a squirrel's nest up there. several blast of the garden hose should discourage he/she.

It's your property - not sure if they would do damage - perhaps just a temporary mess.

Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I'd love a nest of baby squirrels. Let him build for his bride.Too cute, you'll love them. Do you ever watch Ross the painter, he always has a baby in his shirt pocket? he adored them, think he has passed on but still on PBS.

@HLP You won't like it after a cold winter when they eat holes around the windows of your house trying to get in and you have to shell out $$$$ for new siding and having the second story painted.  NOT cute. 

Esteemed Contributor

They may be cute, but they are destructive pests.  You need to clear the nest and block access with some kind of metal.  While you at it check other spots.  Once they get into a place like the attic, you are doomed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I think I would clear the nest. They can easily build in a tree, so no need to infringe on your birdhouse town.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom ...The softer side me is worried about baby squirrels....there are no babies yet, the building must have started yesterday or early this am....she has been quite busy getting things ready....do you have any idea how long once the nest building begins that the babies are born?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  It should be fine, but totally up to you. It takes about 5 hours for the squirrels to build a nest.

Honored Contributor

Living in the woods, we have everything possible.  We call the tall hedge that runs the length of the deck "the nest"!