Regular Contributor

I bought crocus bulbs that were on sale at Lowe's and most of them are already sprouted. I planted them anyway, but will they come up in the spring?

Honored Contributor

They should still come up. When I had bulbs I'm pretty sure the Crocus are what blooms first. I would said like early spring.

I used to have a bulb bed that had flowers blooming as other stopped blooming. It was really pretty. I love Hyacinth's they smell so good.

Honored Contributor

It would be helpful to know where you're located.  Here in southeastern PA they'd probably be alright, though I'd plant them a little deeper than recommended (is it 3"?)  to better protect the part that's growing already from winter's cold.

Regular Contributor

@Nightowlz The bulb bed would be pretty! I love bulbs that have a scent. Some daffodils smell pretty nice!

Regular Contributor

@ValuSkr I'm not too far from you. I live in Central PA, but it's colder here than where you are, probably. I already planted them, so I hope they're protected enough from the cold. I'm on top of a ridge and it's colder than down in the valley. The directions did say 3". I think this winter is supposed to be cold. Maybe I should put another layer on them.

Honored Contributor

@Violet Fields   I think it wouldn't hurt to put an extra layer of insulation on top, like mulch, leaves, or pine needles.  Brush it off in the spring, before the crocus break through, to allow the ground to warm.

Regular Contributor

@ValuSkr  That sounds like a good idea - thanks! I should probably get mulch. My roses need it too. Last winter was cold and the canes turned black. They came back ok though after cutting them back.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

To prevent rose canes from turning black spray in fall with an anti desiccant when temps are in the 40’s. You can use burlap if they are in a special area to act as a wind break. In early Spring, cut the black or brown canes to green areas. They will come back as you saw. The important thing is, if you have grafted roses, keep that graft union protected by either burying it in the soil or putting mulch or soil around it in the winter if it’s above ground. Nowadays, grafted roses should be planted with that union below ground. Mulch around your roses without putting the mulch against the canes.

Crocus bulbs will be fine as they will delay pushing up if its cold outside. 

Mulching will keep the bulbs warm. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼