Respected Contributor

Re: Spring Blooming Camellias blooming now

Those are beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Icegoddess , so delicate looking.  The weather is weird here in Nova Scotia.  We should be having snow and it is well above freezing, the grass is still green.  What a strange year!

Thanks for sharing the beauty!  ZS. aka Lilysmom 

@Lilysmom1.  All the while, we've had 3 major snow storms in the Desert Southwest.  Last night our mountains got up to 2 ft.  Avalanche warnings already issued.  How ironic!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Icegoddess , so delicate looking.  The weather is weird here in Nova Scotia.  We should be having snow and it is well above freezing, the grass is still green.  What a strange year!

@Lilysmom1.  All the while, we've had 3 major snow storms in the Desert Southwest.  Last night our mountains got up to 2 ft.  Avalanche warnings already issued.  How ironic!

@Kachina624 @Lilysmom1  Yet the ski resort we go to in MT is barely getting any snow.  I get daily snow reports and I think I've seen 1" all week.  Hoping Spring 2021 is a lot better.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Kachina624 @Lilysmom1  Yet the ski resort we go to in MT is barely getting any snow.  I get daily snow reports and I think I've seen 1" all week.  Hoping Spring 2021 is a lot better.

@Icegoddess.  Well, for Pete's sake, come ski New Mexico.  Our mountains got up to 2 ft last night and already had a lit on the ground.  Angel Fire Resort or Taos if you want challenging.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 No can do. we already have our reservations and airline booked.  We also have a friend sharing the room as well as another couple joining us (with their own room).

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday I so wanted October Affair before I bought these.  However, at the time I was living in zone 7a which is outside of it's range.  But, now I live in zone 7b which is in it's range.  I didn't move.  The zone for my area changed.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Nonametoday I so wanted October Affair before I bought these.  However, at the time I was living in zone 7a which is outside of it's range.  But, now I live in zone 7b which is in it's range.  I didn't move.  The zone for my area changed.  

@Icegoddess  The same happened to me.  My zone changed (I don't think it changed; the experts changed their minds). Delphinum wilt nearly as soon as they open and tulips are beautiful until the sun comes out.  LOL. I now put my delphinium, larkspur and poppy seeds in the refrigerator and sow them in March.  I don't even try tulips any longer.  Squirrels have eaten hundreds of daffodil bulbs and snails eat the amaryllis.

So, I am just doing mostly camellias, white azaleas, oakleaf hydrangeas, limelight, firelight and Annabelle.  

Trusted Contributor

Mine are blooming too! I live in North Texas, we've had freezes/rain/below normal temperatures and then a rollercoaster of above normal temperatures mixed in. I am amazed that after nighttime temperatures in the low 30s,wind chills in the 20s, cold rain and daytime temperatures in the 40s the shrubs continue to bloom and appear robust.

Honored Contributor

Eatting daffodil bulbs are poisonous to squirrels and deer. They might take a bite and run away.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Eatting daffodil bulbs are poisonous to squirrels and deer. They might take a bite and run away.

@JustJazzmom 

My neighborhood squirrels dig up an occasional daffodil bulb so I spend winter replanting random bulbs but it is worth it in the spring!