Honored Contributor

Spring Blooming Camellias blooming now

My spring blooming camellias are beginning to bloom now.  Last year they bloomed in February which I thought was early for April Camellias.  The 1st pic is April Dawn, the 2nd pic is April Remembered.

April Dawn DEC 2020.jpg

April Remembered DEC 2020.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Spring Blooming Camellias blooming now

@Icegoddess  Beautiful!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess Gorgeous!!!

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess.  Where are you?  Presumably, it has been unseasonably warm.  Hope a cold snap doesn't damage them.  They are beautiful varieties.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Icegoddess.  Where are you?  Presumably, it has been unseasonably warm.  Hope a cold snap doesn't damage them.  They are beautiful varieties.

@Kachina624 North Alabama.  We are expecting some colder weather Monday.  There are one the random blooms, they are not in full bloom, but there are a lot of fat buds.  We have already had a few nights into the mid-20's though, so maybe it'll only kill the ones already open.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 North Alabama.  We are expecting some colder weather Monday.  There are one the random blooms, they are not in full bloom, but there are a lot of fat buds.  We have already had a few nights into the mid-20's though, so maybe it'll only kill the ones already open.

@Icegoddess 

Those are really beautiful blooms.  

I have some that are supposed to be December bloomers that, a few years ago, began blooming in late February/March and have done so since.  October Magic started blooming in October, quit and restarted and still blooming.It has been a stressful year. 

One of my Japanese magnolias pushed out a few blooms a couple weeks ago. 

When I did master gardeners, we were told that stressful weather can do that to plants, cause irregular bloom phases but they will eventually return to their normal cycle.

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely Beautiful 🥰

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess , so delicate looking.  The weather is weird here in Nova Scotia.  We should be having snow and it is well above freezing, the grass is still green.  What a strange year!

Thanks for sharing the beauty!  ZS. aka Lilysmom 

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I have the second pictured flower in white with creamy yellow that blooms in Spring.

You May want to wrap that plant(s) in black plast bag over really cold nights to enjoy those surprise flowers another day or two.  It keeps any daytime heat in.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess Those are beautiful! Thank you for posting. We've had crazy temperature variations here in NoVa and the plants don't know what to do. DH and I pass a house on our walk route where the roses and camellias are still blooming. One of my neighbor's flowering trees has buds on it and another neighbor's forsythia are blooming.