Esteemed Contributor

Spotted Lanternfly Management for Homeowners

Respected Contributor

Re: Spotted Lanternfly Management for Homeowners

I thought when they first said to do the tree banding that it wasn't a good idea as it would also take out beneficial insects. Recently, on the news however, it was showing pictures of wood peckers getting caught in the tape and usually not surviving. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but you would think that someone with more smarts than I  would have thought of this. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow. I live in Pa not in the affected areas yet but you know it will spread.  Thanks for the info @x Hedge 

Esteemed Contributor

@catter70 

Suggest you forward your concern to the the extension's Contact Us, found under Customer Service at the bottom of the link's page.

Perhaps this species is so destructive they feel the benefit of proper banding outweighs the negative possibilities. 

Honored Contributor

The site linked suggests using a cage around the banding to prevent critters getting trapped. I'm not sure how many homeowners are going to be doing all they suggest.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The spotted lanternfly has been seen in Deer Park, NY according to our Extension Service. Entomologists think it arrived on plant material from PA. There are many wholesale nurseries in Deer Park. Not sure where it was in PA, but many places sell plant material to the Northeast. Washington Post has a recent article on it so it is in the mid Atlantic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/this-is-going-to-be-a-bad-one-a-new-pest-is-causing-qu...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Found this among the WAPO comments: https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2019/04/destructive-plant-pest-thwarted-two-native-fungi

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

The lymph stage somewhat resembles the kissing bug, good grief.