Honored Contributor

Re: Something strange growing on one of my shrubs -

@River Song 

Where do you purchase the Neem oil and what kind is it?

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom 

I actually don't know for sure as these were in our garden when we moved here.  There are 3 of them. I looked on line and they look to me like dwarf boxwoods.  

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl 

This stuff just looks like someone sprinkled a very fine powder all over it from top to bottom, all through the leaves and down under the branches.  If you didn't look closely, would not even see it, it's that fine.  Some of the leaves are turning more yellow and they are some dead branches in it.  It is not looking too good.  And sad to say, I checked the one next to it, and it has some in it as well.  Although so far, it is still looking healthy.  

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

Good point!  Thank you! 

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@mousiegirl 

This stuff just looks like someone sprinkled a very fine powder all over it from top to bottom, all through the leaves and down under the branches.  If you didn't look closely, would not even see it, it's that fine.  Some of the leaves are turning more yellow and they are some dead branches in it.  It is not looking too good.  And sad to say, I checked the one next to it, and it has some in it as well.  Although so far, it is still looking healthy.  

Yes, that's exactly how my rose bush looked, like very fine baby powder, a film really, you had to be close up to it to see it.  It was on part of the bush first, then seemed to spread to other parts.  It's a mildew or a fungus of some kind.  It should respond to treatment.

I'm having a lot of this kind of problem the last few years. I find that the disease what ever it is, doesn't kill the plant, but it does make it look awful.  My azalea bushes also had something, but it wasn't whitish, it was something that make the leaves look shrivelled and brown, almost dead, but the bushes came back this spring.  They even had a moderate display of flowers.  My husband sprayed those too, and now they are looking pretty healthy.

Don't give up hope, you'll save the plant.

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@River Song 

Where do you purchase the Neem oil and what kind is it?

@AngelPuppy1 ,

I purchased Neem oil at my local garden center, look for it in the pesticide section.

The brand is Garden Safe, Neem Oil Extract Concentrate.  For organic gardening, 3 garden products in 1, insecticide, fungicide, miticide.  You add a little of the oil to water in a spray bottle to dilute it and then just spray on the plant.  Be sure to spray the top and bottom of the leaves.  It saved my African violets, I was ready to throw them out.  African violets are so finicky so I'm pleased they survived, lol.  

I just looked at the Home Depot website and they have a Neem oil product that is already premixed in a spray bottle available in their store, at least in my area.  I would think you can find something similar at Lowe's or Walmart, anywhere that has gardening supplies.   

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 

Goodness --- it's always something!  It's either too much heat, too cold, too much rain, not enough rain, hail, animals, insects -- and now this!  It's a constant battle to try and have a few bits of greenery and flowers!  Glad yours are doing better!  

Honored Contributor

@River Song 

Thank you --- I appreciate the info! 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 ,  if it were mine, I would hose it down full force, then let it dry.  Do this in the morning,  then spray with a copper fungicide.   Prune off anything that looks unhealthy...if it's in a sunny spot, that should help too.   If not, a shady place can cause fungus...then you'll just have to watch it and treat accordingly.  Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

I found some weird looking bugs on my hibiscus plants today. Kind of round and brown and black on the leaves.

Never saw them before.