Respected Contributor

Some canes on Rose's dying??

I noticed a couple of my rose bushes had the thicker canes coming from the crown dying..they first yellowed, then brown and were dead. I cut them off. We had constant soggy, wet spring through summer. I'm still dealing with black spot as well. But, I'm concerned if the dying canes is something wrong or is this normal?? I'm in Florida, so they're still blooming.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Some canes on Rose's dying??

omg....i thought Rose was a person!!  it's been a long weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

Just like a house plants reacts when we've over watered it - I think your rose is doing the same.  Yellow leaves to brown - then fall off.  I'm no expert on FL but I would just leave it alone and as the weather gets better........the plant will too.  My rose has to take snow, sleet and it was minus 1 degree turkey day.  That's life!  Enjoy your warm weather.........................Bye

Honored Contributor

Back when I grew roses (and I may again this coming year depending on how my leg heals) I would prune out one third of the bush each year, taking the oldest wood out as it will die anyway if left alone long enough. By taking out one third of the bush each year, and taking the oldest canes, you keep the bush young and fresh. I try to do the same with lilacs and most shrubs that grow quickly and robustly from a crown. It's a very effective technique to keep a plant young and vibrant over many, many years. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

THANKS @gardenman....I'll give that a shot.
Hope you grow your Rose's this year...I remember your posts about having so many of them, and your cranky neighbor 😄. Love hearing your advice too!
Regular Contributor

cut 'em off.

Regular Contributor

@gardenman 

you wouldn't happen to live in the Seattle area, would you? because this sounds like the kind of advice Cisco Morris (a local garen-advice guy) would give. I've listened to him for years and have learned a lot. 

Honored Contributor

@Huge Hannah wrote:

@gardenman 

you wouldn't happen to live in the Seattle area, would you? because this sounds like the kind of advice Cisco Morris (a local garen-advice guy) would give. I've listened to him for years and have learned a lot. 

I'm completely across the country in New Jersey. I first heard that advice from Jim Crockett, the original host of Crockett's Victory Garden on PBS, which first aired about 43 years ago. Jim Crockett was my gardening inspiration and much of what I do I learned from watching his shows and reading his books.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!