Honored Contributor

Re: So, how old can a seed be and still grow?

@gardenman 

I found some hyacinth bulbs about three weeks ago that I forgot to plant last Fall (duh - I know LOL!).

I thought the same thing - what the heck - so I planted them anyways. I had no hopes of them blooming, I just wanted them to survive.

Well, 6 of the 7 are sprouting, the largest 1 1/2" - 2" tall so far. So fun to check them every morning & night to see how they are doing.

I THINK I have some Allium bulbs in the back of my fridge also.

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper 

They had a commercial allium grower on Monty Don's "Gardeners' World" on Britbox last week who was interviewed and he was asked about how people should handle alliums and store them and he said the best place to store them was in the ground, so if you've got them in your fridge, planting them now is a good idea. He was still selling the bulbs at this time of year, so assuming he knows what he's talking about, I'd plant them to see what happens. Alliums are interesting as you tend to get foliage first, then as that's dying back, up come the flowers. Kind of the opposite of daffodils.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

We keep onions in our fridge & occasionally they might sprout. So it makes sense that those bulbs might still be viable.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@ChiliPepper 

They had a commercial allium grower on Monty Don's "Gardeners' World" on Britbox last week who was interviewed and he was asked about how people should handle alliums and store them and he said the best place to store them was in the ground, so if you've got them in your fridge, planting them now is a good idea. He was still selling the bulbs at this time of year, so assuming he knows what he's talking about, I'd plant them to see what happens. Alliums are interesting as you tend to get foliage first, then as that's dying back, up come the flowers. Kind of the opposite of daffodils.

@gardenman 

I didn't get a chance to check last night, my cat snuck outside & we spent all evening looking for her. Of course, just before dark she comes strolling up onto the back porch like nothing happened. I was so glad to see her but it was very stressful.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

We keep onions in our fridge & occasionally they might sprout. So it makes sense that those bulbs might still be viable.

@JustJazzmom 

That makes sense, I think I will just plant them & see what happens. I have a small area & some larger pots that I use as starters & test pots for seeds & plants I find here & there. It's fun to see what happens, how they grow & sometimes what they are.