Honored Contributor

Re: So disappointed in my Roberta’s purchase

I also didn't have any luck with plants ordered from Roberta's and Cottage Farms.  I stopped ordering plants from  the Q when I realized how many great nurseries there are in the area.  There are many different flowers available, choices, healthy looking.  Besides, I am a believer in supporting local stores as opposed to shopping on line for everything.  I enjoy being out and about and now that things are getting better, I plan to do just that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I learned my lesson a few years ago and don't order from them anymore....

Respected Contributor

I sure get tempted when I see Roberta's shows but I think they should spend more time showing exactly what we'll get instead of seeing the plants 2-3 years down the road. I bought 3 plumerias from them maybe 10 years ago; two died after the first year, one has thrived so well that I have to keep it cut back so I can fit it inside during our winters. It blooms beautifully every year and I've been able to share plants with lots of friends. I got a tuberose that did very well the first year, heavenly scent; it never came back a second year. I also got some stargazer lilies; a couple are still living, not thriving. I've learned that I can't even trust our local Lowe's/Home Depot stores because they don't always sell plants that like our climate. The best bet, and it may not be possible for many, is to go to a locally owned nursery and speak with someone to explain your exact conditions. I've been fooled by them, as well, sometimes though. Some of them just have employees who like flowers & plants and don't always know. You can usually tell if they know what they're talking about when you start asking questions. Sorry your experience was a disappointment; they make it look so easy Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

@simplyfriends 

I finally asked for a refund on my geraniums yesterday.  As I wrote in my other comment in this thread, I was so upset with myself for buying them.  They were awful looking and never took off.  They would get buds, but the buds would die before they even bloomed.  They never filled out either.

The last straw for me was when the last one turned brown and disintegrated into the ground.  I have nothing left of these "dynamo" geraniums.  I don't understand how that could happen to such a bullet-proof plant. It takes a lot to kill a geranium.  I have grown geraniums for years and never once had this happen.  Thank goodness QVC issued me a refund.  Now I can stop feeling sorry for myself.  lol

Did you ask for yours?  I hope you did!

Respected Contributor

I got the Barbara King hibiscus last March and they don't bloom until June which of course is more than a year later! They are not coming up this year which is really disappointing. Too late for a refund.

I ordered 5 hibiscus from others and they are already getting stalks. This leads me to believe that only the new ones will come up and not the following year.

I am not going to order anymore plants online.

Occasional Contributor

I am still waiting for my Tomatoes as I liked the idea of it in pots but it’s already June and Wisconsin has a shorter growing season . Had lots of trouble last year with pandemic but thought they would have figured it out by now . And get no help from either customer service
Occasional Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Dawnsd wrote:
I am still waiting for my Tomatoes as I liked the idea of it in pots but it’s already June and Wisconsin has a shorter growing season . Had lots of trouble last year with pandemic but thought they would have figured it out by now . And get no help from either customer service

@Dawnsd   I have little tomatoes on some of my plants, and flowers on all.  Hopefully, yours will begin soon.

Trusted Contributor

I did not have any luck with my QVC plant purchases over the years.  I refuse to buy anything that is shown.   Usually they have the shows in early spring and you're getting so eager to plant, but instead I just head over to my local nursery.  Plants there are healthy and growing beautiful.   I think live plant purchases from QVC would be the #1 item I regret ordering from them.

Frequent Contributor

I purchased Roberta's geraniums that were suppose to repel mosquitos. Plants came healthy but did not grow or have any smell to repel these pests. Bought Cottage Farm Sun Patience which were to grow so full and so large. The season will be over before they get started. Lesson learned.