Valued Contributor

So disappointed in my Roberta’s purchase

My first order from Roberta's was a disappointment. I ordered the 6 piece geraniums. Only 4 were able to be planted. The other 2 were brown and welted. I watered them right away and planted in good quality soil. They look  so sad 1 month later. No flowers have bloomed.  There were some buds last week but they never bloomed. I cared for them best I could. I tried to leave a review but of course since they are sold out you can't leave a review.

E31497B7-43A5-4CAB-A903-DA053ABBB7C6.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: So disappointed in my Roberta’s purchase

My sister in law got an order of DUDS as well, a total waste of her money. Sad. 

Respected Contributor

I think it is extremely difficult to order live plants through the mail and ensure they make it successfully.  A few years ago I ordered a QVC cherry tree---it arrived shipped as just a small plant with hanging roots in a box--no soil, no protection.  It held on for a little while but could not thrive.  I never bothered asking for a replacement--just chalked it up to lesson learned.  I also bought the butterfly bushes and one lived and one died.  The one that lived did not make it past one year.

Now I purchase all plants in brick and mortar stores where I can examine their quality, vitality, etc.  I prefer that roots come in soil, because it makes the transplanting easier and offers a layer of support to the plant.

I find geraniums to be pretty hardy plants.  I have two that are now about four years old.  I put them outside all summer and bring them in before the first frost arrives.

I do have to admit that I just ordered the Barb King Lily Lionhearts, which are just basically sprouted bulbs. I have pretty good luck with bulbs, especially those that stores offer at reduced prices after Easter. Hopefully they will make it....

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I think it is extremely difficult to order live plants through the mail and ensure they make it successfully.  A few years ago I ordered a QVC cherry tree---it arrived shipped as just a small plant with hanging roots in a box--no soil, no protection.  It held on for a little while but could not thrive.  I never bothered asking for a replacement--just chalked it up to lesson learned.  I also bought the butterfly bushes and one lived and one died.  The one that lived did not make it past one year.

Now I purchase all plants in brick and mortar stores where I can examine their quality, vitality, etc.  I prefer that roots come in soil, because it makes the transplanting easier and offers a layer of support to the plant.

I find geraniums to be pretty hardy plants.  I have two that are now about four years old.  I put them outside all summer and bring them in before the first frost arrives.

I do have to admit that I just ordered the Barb King Lily Lionhearts, which are just basically sprouted bulbs. I have pretty good luck with bulbs, especially those that stores offer at reduced prices after Easter. Hopefully they will make it....

@FancyPhillyshopper while it may be difficult to ship plants, it can be done successfully, and many online plant retailers are doing a very good business doing so. I have bought a lot of plants online and have rarely been disappointed.   Occasionally, I'll get one that looks a little worse for the wear, but even those have perked up with a little care, and I'm not one to be able to bring plants back to life the way some can.  I have even shipped plants in the heat of summer to people and they came out fine. I wouldn't judge all online plant retailers by a Roberta's experience.

Honored Contributor

No luck for me, as well.

Try online.  I've had very good experiences with Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill.  

Honored Contributor

All plants have a guarantee.  Call the vendor. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Buy common plants like geraniums locally.  They're available everywhere cheaper than QVC and are better quality. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I don't recall what brand it was but a few years ago I bought some flowers from the Q and they did absolutely nothing.  They did not bloom at all.  My husband is the gardener in the family and he knows plants and flowers.  He did all the right things and they were still duds. I'll never order plants online again.

Trusted Contributor

@simplyfriends 

I'm so glad to be able to read a review on these geraniums since they are now "sold out" and the product page can no longer be accessed.

I also purchased these geraniums. Although they were healthy looking, they looked nothing like the presentation.  They were tiny and the stems were very thin.  I planted them anyway, but I am not hopeful.  They have been in pots with water, sunlight, fertilizer, etc. and nothing has happened.  I mean NOTHING.

I wrote on another thread that I purchased geraniums for my mother that I got through my girls' school plant sale.  They were TREMENDOUS.  They were so big that my mother can't plant them the way she had originally intended to because they will get too big and overtake one another in the pot.  She's going out to buy more planters for them. lol   Each time I walk past my geraniums, I feel such disappointment.  I purchased them because the claim was that they were going to be the biggest, boldest geraniums ever.  Something tells me that's not going to happen.

Call QVC today and tell them how disappointed you are in these geraniums.  They won't ask you to ship them back.  They will refund your money, no questions asked.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with plant returns here.  These are the only returns I ever make from QVC, which obviously shows that there is a vendor/quality issue with their live plants.  Every year I get drawn into these presentations and promises and every year I am disappointed.  Very few of their plants live up to their claim.  Common sense tells me to stop buying from them, but every year I think it will be different.  It rarely is.  When will I learn?  lol

After getting your refund, you should do yourself a favor and go to your local nursery to buy geraniums before they are gone for the season.  You will feel much better after you do!

Valued Contributor

Try Bluestone Perennials online...I received plants from them the last two years and all were healthy, well packaged, delivered as expected.