Respected Contributor

Re: So beautiful....I'm mesmerized by this momma cardinal!!!

@makena  yup, she's brooding on her eggs so you don't see all of her.   The shiny black orb is her eye.  she's looking to the right.  You see the eye, the black crescent where her beak connects to her face and the orange beak. she's a dusty grey brown color. The Males have the bright red color. 

Respected Contributor

@candys mine Oh, OK.  I know the male is red and the female only has a little bit of red on the head.  We have them in our back yard too.  We have two wrens that are building a nest in a birdhouse my husband had put up.  It actually fell down last week, and he got a new post and put it back up.  I was surprised that they returned and are continuing to build the nest.  I saw them going in and out of it yesterday.

Honored Contributor

My husband birdwatches from his chair on the front porch throughout the day, and has said several times that he’s not seeing as many birds as usual around here.   Our lilac and snowball bushes have had multiple nests in the past, but this year my husband has only found 2 robins nests.   One wren tried to build on top of our sunblocker porch shade, but one tear down was all it took to discourage her.   We are in the process of cutting down our very large pine trees that are usually full of crows nests, and have not found one single nest!   It just seems very odd.

However, we think we found our answer.   We have two black snakes over 4 foot long living in our wood pile!   My brother and husband had seen two large black snakes around the sawmill lumber our dad had stacked up and covered years ago, so we knew we had help with the rat problems on the property.   Brother sold that lumber last summer, which apparently displaced the snakes, and they found our wood pile, which is about 10 ft from our house, and about 15 ft from our outside dogs.   My husband has killed one snake, and is still watching for the other.   

Honored Contributor

I like watching the juvenile cardinals. The females are like an olive brown color & both juveniles do not have a large crest on their heads at this time.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I love seeing Cardinals at my feeder....

Honored Contributor

I think the "babies" are soon!  Today, was truly a day of "watching". The male stayed by her side most of the day...even my sweet kitty is enjoying watching!  He is "glued" on my windowsill just sitting ...

I don't know to post video I took but I got some nice stills.  Maybe tomorrow we will see babies!

2064495D-00DF-464B-AA89-11C609B1E654.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

My nest of baby cards were flying all over today. They won't be there much longer because they are getting bigger each day.

I can't get near them...they start chirping so loud and I feel bad and go back in the house LOL.

Honored Contributor

UPDATE.....

The 2 babies were born today.

I so wish I could have "captured" the beautiful scene when momma was tending to the babies and this majestic daddy cardinal sat by her side!

It was truly something beautiful to watch & see...

54607982-EDA5-47C5-BB66-591119B0ACA5.jpeg

the babies:

83265C27-1CC8-4FAE-9135-334A3FE355A6.jpeg

Just nature's beauty in a whole other dimension...first time in my life I've seen this.