Esteemed Contributor

Re: Snail and Slug Deterrent

Wishing You A Very Happy Easter

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep  I love to find home remedies - please do let us know if it works.  With ammonia, I'd be afraid of harming the plant.  And I wonder if you'd need to reapply after rain or heavy dew.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never tried the amonia recipe - I'm anxious to hear if it works for you.   I prefer home remedies myself (even tho Sluggo works!) and for years I've used a mix of one part Murphy's Oil Soap and 4 parts water sprayed on stems and leaves.  Keeps slugs and bunnies away.  One bite of the Murphy's, and they don't come back for seconds.   It doesn't harm the plants.  You will need to re-spray after a hard rain.

Does the amonia kill them, or just repel them?  Let us know how it works.  Thanks!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@pattypeep  I love to find home remedies - please do let us know if it works.  With ammonia, I'd be afraid of harming the plant.  And I wonder if you'd need to reapply after rain or heavy dew.

Ammonia might work to deter other animals from nibbling on the plants due to the noxious smell. 

But I've never seen it used as a slug deterrent.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I use coffee grounds around my dianthus and always have great success.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

I have been using sluggo which is supposed to be safe.I hope it is because the rabbits are really enjoying it.

Respected Contributor

I find Sluggo has to be reapplied every week to 10 days. Eggs hatch.

Esteemed Contributor

Put out a toad home - upside down flower pot, but have someone cut out a space for the toads.

(I like the egg shell idea!)

toad homes

Honored Contributor

I tried everything known to man, including collecting them and tossing them into a field, but finally had to resort to the organic Sluggo, and finally, I have hostas with no holes, and not eaten down to the crown.  I hate to kill anythng, but enough is enough.  Sometimes, I still find one and just toss it into shrubs far from my gardens.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@ValuSkr@ptagirl@Lilysmom@Kachina624@RedTop Thank you all for your replies. I have Sluggo, Deadline, and Lilly Miller slug bait. I also have two dogs and was looking for a safer alternative. I had posted asking if anyone had tried the ammonia and water treatment. I guess no one has, so I will try it, and report back. Thanks again and have a wonderful day tomorrow.

@pattypeep  I can vouch that Sluggo is safe for pets because my male dog found some and promptly ate it.  I now try to make sure that I put sluggo where he can't get to before I can see what he is doing. Smiley Happy