Esteemed Contributor

Re: Snail and Slug Deterrent

@mousiegirl wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

@ValuSkr@ptagirl@Lilysmom@Kachina624@RedTop Thank you all for your replies. I have Sluggo, Deadline, and Lilly Miller slug bait. I also have two dogs and was looking for a safer alternative. I had posted asking if anyone had tried the ammonia and water treatment. I guess no one has, so I will try it, and report back. Thanks again and have a wonderful day tomorrow.

@pattypeep  I can vouch that Sluggo is safe for pets because my male dog found some and promptly ate it.  I now try to make sure that I put sluggo where he can't get to before I can see what he is doing. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl Thank you for your reply. I do believe that Sluggo is safe for pets, the problem is it didn't work for my slimey "guests". I think what happens is that the tiny new slugs can slither right through any barriers that we provide. That's why I thought I'd try something that can be sprayed on the plant. I have the ammonia and if it ever quits raining, I am ready to give it a try. Smiley Frustrated!!  

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I used a product called "Escar-go!" for my strawberries a few years ago. It's completely organic, harmless to pets (except for pet snails) and seemed pretty effective.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I'm using small containers of cornmeal, seems to be working but next year I think I may be interested in Sluggo.  The front of my home seems to be a magnet for these cumbersome pests.

Honored Contributor

I use diatomaceous earth.  Deters and kills snails, slugs ants and a host of critters.  I use food grade.  Got it on amazon.  It is like walking on glass to sanils and slugs.  For ants it does something to their structure.  They take. It back too.  They dont die on the spot, but it gets to them

i also spray neem oil around and on my plants and veggies.  I do organic gardening and it was recomended to me by organic farmers.

i also have used baking soda, coffee grounds and even salt when i was desparate and without adequate weapons.  Lol

peppermint oil dropped around is a great deterrant for many pests.  Slugs dont like it I know

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Noticed something this year-- very few slugs on walkway at night by feeders. I wonder if the insecticide put down last year under the patio to kill camel cave crickets also got rid of the slugs? The chemical used was called Niban. 

Never mind, I just looked at their website and it is used to kill slugs too!

http://nisuscorp.com/pest-management-professionals/products/niban

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I just noticed this thread on 08/06/17.  Years ago a neighbor told me about using BEER to get rid of slugs.  I tried it.  It works.  Put out a shallow dish with beer.  The slugs drink it and die.  Die happy I guess, but problem solved.  Honest, it does work.  It doesn't matter what brand of beer you put out.