Respected Contributor

Should i separate my Easter lilies?

My daughter brought me one Easter Lily last year.  I put it in a larger pot, and now there are several coming up.  Keep in mind, I live in Florida,  so not much goes dormant here.    So these lilies are bushy yet, with lots of leaves.   I can't be sure how many in this pot.  It's quite warm here  and I'd like to re-pot these individually.    What's your thoughts on whether to do it, and any specific tips I should keep in mind.

I looked online , but all I see is to do this in the fall, when they are dormant....but that doesn't happen here.  What I'm seeing now, is they are wanting to take off...like everything else here.

Honored Contributor

Re: Should i separate my Easter lilies?

@Dazlinwrote:

My daughter brought me one Easter Lily last year.  I put it in a larger pot, and now there are several coming up.  Keep in mind, I live in Florida,  so not much goes dormant here.    So these lilies are bushy yet, with lots of leaves.   I can't be sure how many in this pot.  It's quite warm here  and I'd like to re-pot these individually.    What's your thoughts on whether to do it, and any specific tips I should keep in mind.

I looked online , but all I see is to do this in the fall, when they are dormant....but that doesn't happen here.  What I'm seeing now, is they are wanting to take off...like everything else here.

@Dazlin

I also live in the deep south (SE Coastal GA) about 1.5 hours from Jax, FL and I have tons of different kinds of lilys in my yard!

In our climate, now is when you want to separate them, especially if they're flourishing.

Use a sharp knife and cut the 'baby' plants from the 'Mother' plant and plant them in separate containers.

You can use some Root Tone (available at any garden center) on the babies, but it's not really necessary.

Just water well after re-potting and pour off any excess water after initial watering, but keep soil moist (not wet) until roots start to grow.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Thanks IG....hopefully I'll get to them tomorrow😀

Respected Contributor

Well, I separated a few, and left some in tact with the bulbs.   The bulb looked like one big garlic clove, so I wasn't able to keep the bulbs attached to the roots/plant.  Anyway I repotted about 3 clumps of plants...not sure if they'll take.