Respected Contributor

Re: Should Don Juan grow thick reddish canes?

Dazlin, I was walking my dog in one of my favorite parks this morning, before it got too hot, and I noticed a red climbing rose on a gate arbor in the rose garden the local rose society maintains in the park.  I walked over to it, sniffed, and it was almost unscented, so I knew it wasn't a Don Juan, and looked for the ID plaque.  It was labeled as an "Amadeus" rose, so it's a named variety.  It also had new, thick, reddish canes on it, as well as it's older, thicker-barked green canes.  I looked closely at several rose bushes of several varieties and colors, and all their newest growth looked reddish in color, so I suspect that's just normal appearance for the newest canes and leaves as all rosebushes grow.  It's probably a function of the phytopigment development of the plant itself, that rhodopsin develops before chlorophyll does, so that the newest growth is red in color until the green dominates.  It's almost the reverse of the pigmentation loss that occurs in the Autumn.

Honored Contributor

Amadeus is a lovely disease resistant Kordes climber in red! 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@CammileP...thank you so much!! Yes, from now on I'm leaving DonJuan to his business. As other posters say...yes, the canes seem to start out red. Overall, hes looking mighty healthy...growing in leaps and bounds. I'm already trying it to my fencing. No flowers yet??
I'm kinda done with climbers. This is all I needed along my driveway. I a coral dawn on the other end.

@Jazzmom, thank you, but I wouldn't consider Amadeus since it has no fragrance.