Respected Contributor

I got a request from a family member whose mother passed away.

He asked people send a plant for a garden he is going to start in her honor.  They are in southern California.

I would like something that will establish itself and stay.

Any suggestions on where and how to do this?

Thanks,

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

He asked people send a plant for a garden he is going to start in her honor.  They are in southern California.

Thanks,

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  First, I am sorry about your family's loss. I'm afraid I can't help with a plant for California because I live on the opposite coast. 

Requesting a plant for a memorial garden rather than a flower arrangement that will wither away is such a lovely idea, and a beautiful tribute to a loved one who has passed.

I wish you and your family peace.

Hugs.

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Trusted Contributor

Bougainvillea is a lovely outside plant. It grows very well in So Cal and gives off a light fragrance at night.

Honored Contributor

Google nurseries in California.  Or you can narrow your search down to the specific town.

Honored Contributor

California has very strict laws on live plant shipments, so you're probably best off dealing with a nursery there.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Thanks,

Hyacinth

See if you can find a way to provide a gift certificate.

Lovely idea, sorry for your family's loss.

Respected Contributor

Hyacinth, can you visit a local florist's shop?  Florists usually have live plants as well as cut flower arrangements, and if they belong to FTD or other florist's networks they can wire an order for a plant to be sent to the bereaved family that will be delivered by a florist in that family's town or city.  That way it will be something that can be grown in the local vicinity.  I had out of state family send an azalea plant to the funeral home when my Mom died, and azaleas are a normal landscaping plant here in the PNW, so even though the family could not all travel to attend the funeral, one part of it used a local florist to send a living reminder of their shared grief.

Honored Contributor

Contact a florist in the city where the funeral will be held.  They should have to be able to get something suitable.  Use the yellow pages on the Internet to local the florist. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the ideas!

Hyacinth