Honored Contributor

Re: Sahara Desert Gemini Rose

@151949 wrote:

The sap of ALL desert rose plants is toxic to everyone. The internet says you have to wear rubber gloves when you cut them.

They certainly don't mention that during their sales presentation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I googled information about trimming them back because I don't want mine to get too large and it is growing like a weed. Every article about trimming them mentions this - the sap is toxic to your liver. When we cut ours back we wore Rubbermaid rubber gloves. I would also keep pets and children away from it.

Valued Contributor

I bought one from QVC last spring. It was very small and didn't look anything like what was shown in their presentation.  The leaves turned yellow and fell off.  Roberta's replaced it and my second was a little bit larger.  

Both survived the summer but the second one grew a lot more and the caudex grew as well.  

After taking them in in the Fall, the smaller (first one) just rotted away.  It was pretty much the same size as went I received it 4 months earlier. I was happy it survived the summer and thought maybe it will grow more during the Fall/Winter and then again this summer but it just died within weeks of bringing it inside.

The second one survived the Fall/Winter and I'm waiting to put it outside when it gets warmer at night.  It lost very few leaves and looks strong. I'm hoping I will have some blooms and that it will survive another summer.

I will report back in another month or so.

I also have another thread about the Desert Rose as well here in the Garden posts.

Valued Contributor

Well, mine made it through the summer. It grew a bit and produced many buds but none of them opened. I wrote to Roberta's and they finally answered but didn't address why the buds never bloomed.

I wanted to transfer it and they did tell me to wait until I bring it inside this Fall. 

I wish I could post a picture of it but I don't know how.

It looks nice and green and like I said, it grew a bit but disappointed I didn't see any opened flowers.  

I hope everyone is having good luck with theirs and I'm hoping mine makes it through the winter so I can see how it does next summer.!!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, my plant is dying and don't think it will recover. I emailed Robertas but no response.

I did nothing different, brought it in in Sept, watered it at times and it looked good until the other day when I noticed the caudex shriveling up.  The leaves were falling off like normal but then I noticed black spots on the leaves and it's just shriveling away.

I really wanted to be successful with this plant but I'm not going to try again unless I find one around here and it doesn't cost too much.

Last summer, it grew and had lots of flower buds but NONE of them opened up.  I thought that was strange but it was healthy looking and striving.

I am so disappointed.  

I think I'll try Begonias this spring or look for something different.

Contributor

I lost one of mine in the fall. It rained a lot and it was in really wet soil for a few days and that killed it. I still have 5 plants and they are starting to leaf out now. Last year the caudex did get soft on them I guess because they are getting almost no water and they are using the water they have stored in the caudex. I have watered them only twice with an ounce of water each. I have a sister-n-law who doesn't water hers at all when she brings it in.

If I were you I wouldn't throw it out just yet. It may come back but don't water it until you put it out in the spring.  All of mine bloomed last year and were beautiful.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]
@grams2 wrote:

I lost one of mine in the fall. It rained a lot and it was in really wet soil for a few days and that killed it. I still have 5 plants and they are starting to leaf out now. Last year the caudex did get soft on them I guess because they are getting almost no water and they are using the water they have stored in the caudex. I have watered them only twice with an ounce of water each. I have a sister-n-law who doesn't water hers at all when she brings it in.

If I were you I wouldn't throw it out just yet. It may come back but don't water it until you put it out in the spring.  All of mine bloomed last year and were beautiful.

Thanks, grams2.....I unpotted it per instructions from Roberta's and let it dry out for about 5 days.  I've repotted it but will not add any water for awhile.  

We do usually try to "nurse" our plants back to health but the Desert Rose is a hard one since I live in the Midwest.  My husband will take the saddest looking plants and get them to thrive but this is quite the challenge since we can't just plant it anywhere and leave it alone.  We can't plant in the ground at all.

See, mine had buds, lots of buds last summer being my 2nd summer with it but none of them opened so wondering if that was the beginning of the end. I was so looking forward to this summer since it was very healthy looking when I first brought it in.  

But I shall see, I'm holding on to some hope. Caudex is still soft but it's been without water for about 10 days.  

Thanks for your response; gives me hope!!

Valued Contributor

Well, my 2nd plant is now gone. Shriveled up and the caudex was empty. I kept hoping it would come back but nope.

I guess I'm done with Desert Rose plants unless I just happen to come across one at a local nursery.  I guess it's not for the MidWest. I just wish I knew what went wrong since it did last 2 years and it was in a safe place with little or no water after bringing it in in the Fall.

Oh well...........I tried!

Frequent Contributor

There's tons of plants that are toxic if ingested. Foxglove, oleander, pansies, poinsettias... So many.
This isn't something unusual.

I ordered the red, but waiting for it to ship. I also read the reviews, but chose to ignore them. I do know you should keep the plant in a shallow pot that is more wide than tall. Terra cottage is a good choice because it is porous which will help to prevent root rot due to poor drainage. Also, it will keep the plant more stable and encourage the root to spread instead of growing straight down inside a deeper pot. Have to be careful that the caudex isn't buried under soil. It needs to be above the soil. They don't need watering as much because so much water is stored in the caudex. If the caudex stars to feel soft, that's a good indication that it's being under watered. You want a fat and firm caudex. And it needs lots of sun as well as consistent temps above 50/55 degrees Fahrenheit. I've read though that it might stop blooming in the dead of summer for a couple of months and then start again towards the end of summer into fall. Also, if the pot is too big, it might spend too much energy on expanding it's roots and not so much on branching out, foilage and blooms. And consider that a plastic pot could be compromised by the roots of the tree as they spread out.

Granted, I'm just relaying what I've been reading. I haven't yet done as much research as to the type of soil it needs. Oh, also, it can go dormant when you bring it in for winter ... When the temps are consistently 50/55 or colder ... And lose leaves. So, you water much less during that time and then wait till warmer temps to set it outside and start watering more regularly.

My take on it is that this isn't the plant to baby and coddle. That it thrives more on neglect. And the soil has to be well drained, so make sure the pot has good drainage holes... Don't let it sit in a drainage tray.
Valued Contributor

@Dcole3 wrote:
There's tons of plants that are toxic if ingested. Foxglove, oleander, pansies, poinsettias... So many.
This isn't something unusual.

I ordered the red, but waiting for it to ship. I also read the reviews, but chose to ignore them. I do know you should keep the plant in a shallow pot that is more wide than tall. Terra cottage is a good choice because it is porous which will help to prevent root rot due to poor drainage. Also, it will keep the plant more stable and encourage the root to spread instead of growing straight down inside a deeper pot. Have to be careful that the caudex isn't buried under soil. It needs to be above the soil. They don't need watering as much because so much water is stored in the caudex. If the caudex stars to feel soft, that's a good indication that it's being under watered. You want a fat and firm caudex. And it needs lots of sun as well as consistent temps above 50/55 degrees Fahrenheit. I've read though that it might stop blooming in the dead of summer for a couple of months and then start again towards the end of summer into fall. Also, if the pot is too big, it might spend too much energy on expanding it's roots and not so much on branching out, foilage and blooms. And consider that a plastic pot could be compromised by the roots of the tree as they spread out.

Granted, I'm just relaying what I've been reading. I haven't yet done as much research as to the type of soil it needs. Oh, also, it can go dormant when you bring it in for winter ... When the temps are consistently 50/55 or colder ... And lose leaves. So, you water much less during that time and then wait till warmer temps to set it outside and start watering more regularly.

My take on it is that this isn't the plant to baby and coddle. That it thrives more on neglect. And the soil has to be well drained, so make sure the pot has good drainage holes... Don't let it sit in a drainage tray.

Thanks for your information and suggestions.  I did all of that except I did not use a terra cotta pot but my pot was shallow and ceramic with good drainage. I used good drainage soil as well; spending lots of money trying to buy the correct pot and soil.

Please keep us updated on your plant and best of luck.  

I am so disappointed but I had 2 of them and neither one made it too far. The first one was such a disappointment but the 2nd one strived for 2 summers but just faded away once I brought it inside this past Fall.