Regular Contributor

Sadness—I think my hummers are gone for the year

Haven’t seen the little dive bombers for a full week now. But still leaving a feeder up, just in case. . .

Hope they enjoy their winter vacation!

Dragonfly

Respected Contributor

Re: Sadness—I think my hummers are gone for the year

Dragonfly- same story for us in SE VA- I took the feeders down and cleaned them Monday.  Like you said, see you in the Spring!

Super Contributor

Here in Kansas too except for one little one...wish she would go..our temps were upper 80s yesterday and now 50s...😳

Honored Contributor

I was buzzed a couple of times today here in AL.  Also, remember the migrating ones that might need an energy drink.  Just because yours have left, there might be some stragglers.  

Respected Contributor

I'm in Florida and they left in September...I was surprised...so warm here yet. I'm curious to see when they'll return. I took the feeders down about 4 weeks after not seeing them.
Super Contributor

I read to keep them up because there are always a few trailers that need to stop and sip. I was going to take mine down last week but after reading that I decided to  fill it up one more time, well it was empty today so I refilled it again and  will keep doing so until it is apparent  that nobody needs it, lol. Just thought i would share that, I thought they would be gone by now. I actually still hear a few.

Honored Contributor

Just remember that birds have a memory of the food sources as they migrate. They follow the same paths as they migrate. Before the blackbirds left us, I swear I had about 20 in my yard at various times eating at the peanut feeder. 

And while we are on the subject be sure to put out water for the wild birds this winter. In the colder areas use an electric de-icer in the saucer or foil lasagna pan. 

Only problem with using a lasagna pan is the birds will put pin holes in the bottom from their beaks. 

You might need a heavy heavy duty extension cord. 

8B68D917-BEE6-43CE-93E5-C50DEEC86C8E.jpeg

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Most of my hummingbirds are gone as well - we had a lot of "travelers" come through this fall.

We have one or two that stay all winter and my feeders are out all year. My DH mounts a low watt outdoor flood light onto a stick, the flood keeps the food from freezing and we have seen the hummers ginch closer to the light to get warm. This will be on all winter.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin - I'm in SC and have a couple of hummers that stay all winter. If you put a feeder out, you just may have one that doesn't make the trip anymore.