Honored Contributor

I was changing out my wreaths to put up my spring/ summer  wreath for the spring season( I have three different wreaths)

when I was  in the garage putting away my Winter wreath....four little eggs fell out of it and smashed on the garage floor....I knew I had just killed some soon to be born little finches🙁😪

Where the wreath was hanging outside, two finches were flying around chirping and wondering what just happened.....😔😔😔😔😔☹️☹️☹️☹️ Their nest and the wreath and  and babies gone😪

I am just so so terribly sad. If I had known eggs were in the wreath, I would have  left it up.

Yes an accident.....but just so so sad and feel so bad for the mommy and daddy finch.

i will ALWAYS check from now on....maybe my mistake will save other birds so we all will think about  checking first before taking down outside decorations.

~SeaMaiden~

Honored Contributor

Re: Sad thing happened today

@SeaMaiden @Oh that is sad.I know you must feel horrible.Thank you for the reminder to check for nests in a wreath.I would not have thought that birds would feel secure building a nest right at a doorway.At least your are saving others from that same fate.

Esteemed Contributor

You’re only human.Innocent mistakes happen.Don’t be so hard on yourself!.💐

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@SeaMaiden @Oh that is sad.I know you must feel horrible.Thank you for the reminder to check for nests in a wreath.I would not have thought that birds would feel secure building a nest right at a doorway.At least your are saving others from that same fate.

@dex   The wreath was under the eve between the garage doors...a nice  dry protected place from rain the wind.....probably an ideal spot for a bird to have a nest. 

Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I'm so sorry that happened to you!  As an animal lover, I'm sad along with you.  Your concern for these finches is very touching and heart-warming.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@dex wrote:

@dex   The wreath was under the eve between the garage doors...a nice  dry protected place from rain the wind.....probably an ideal spot for a bird to have a nest. 

Oh I will have to be extra careful with spring cleaning around my eaves.We once took down a tree that had a nest and I was just sick about that.I should have checked the tree first as that is a logical spot to find one.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

If possible, lay the wreath with the nest, plus the egg shells on the ground close to where it was hanging. Back off and allow the parent birds to 'find' it.

When they're done with it they'll start a new nest somewhere else.

I was watching when a baby bird broke his neck when out on his first flight. I got it before the ants could get to it, but then watched as the parent birds searched all over for the fledgling. It was heartbreaking!

I laid the baby where it had died and let the parents find it. The tried to revive it for over when hour. When they finally left and didn't return again I disposed of the body.

They accepted the death, but they had been frantic looking for their baby.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  Oh, I never even thought of that....but I will remember your good  advice. 

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry that happened to you, and I would feel sad too.

One time years ago, my husband ran over a bunny nest by the garden with the lawn mower.  I think he killed at least one bunny.  I picked up one of the other bunnies in the nest, and people told me that now the mother would leave them because my scent was on that one.  I hope that was not true.  I felt bad about that for a long time.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

This could happen to any one of us.  It's nice to know you have compassion for the birds, that in itself means you have goodness in your heart.