Esteemed Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR STORING BIRDSEED AND DISPENSING

I use Lock & Lock for some of my supplies in the garage and the work shop. It helps keep out the humidity problem we have. It also seems to not attrack unwanted "guests" to the bins. The large bags I open and store in 5 gallon pails that I purchase at Home Depot. They work well. The super large bags that I stock up on I put inside a stronge plastic foot locker storage bin that has clamp locks. Works great for rock salt, etc. 

Hope one of these work for your needs.

Honored Contributor

Here are directions for making a large, handy scoop from a milk jug.

https://youtu.be/boEyjifG8LM

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@mimomof4 wrote:

We purchased 10-20 (at least I think this is the size)gallon aluminum garbage cans with lids from Family Farm to store our bird seed. Hubby keeps the cup he uses for filling the seed in the can as well.

I found a metal garbage can to be the best to prevent an infestation of mice.  I tried a big plastic can but they chewed a hole in the bottom of it.  First they infest your garage, then invite themselves into your house.

My Son found a can and it has a lid that locks when the handle comes up. Never store feed in your basement, there are little flying moths, in some of the feed, and if you get them they will drive you crazy.

Respected Contributor

Picked up 45 QT bin lock top and one smaller one.

I know I have some smaller plastic rubbermaid type containers I'm not using,  that  some mentioned here to dispense seeds.   They're like jars with screw on lids.  I could use those to fill up to despense  seeds.  I searched 5 stores, and wound up getting the 2 bins in Dollar General.   Before I buy more, I remembered I may have plastic shoe boxes...so once I start cleaning out the garage closet, I'll see if I need anything else.   Just wanted to get rid of several bags of seeds, stuffed in the closet...very sloppy.  Good suggestions here...thx!    

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@mimomof4 wrote:

We purchased 10-20 (at least I think this is the size)gallon aluminum garbage cans with lids from Family Farm to store our bird seed. Hubby keeps the cup he uses for filling the seed in the can as well.

I found a metal garbage can to be the best to prevent an infestation of mice.  I tried a big plastic can but they chewed a hole in the bottom of it.  First they infest your garage, then invite themselves into your house.

My Son found a can and it has a lid that locks when the handle comes up. Never store feed in your basement, there are little flying moths, in some of the feed, and if you get them they will drive you crazy.

@HLP ...I use the galvanized trash cans in my barn for my horses feed.   They serve the purpose well.   As for the bird seed, I picked up square shaped plastic rubbermaid  bins to fit snuggly and stack neatly in my garage closet.   No room for big garbage cans, and really dont need something that large.  I could just see hubby's face 😡😖   how dare I invade "HIS" garage...with dang bird seed 😯.   

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Why keep the different seeds separate - manufacturers sell (and I buy) 5 lb bags of MIXED seeds - peanuts - sunflower seeds and 4 other kinds.  You're making too much work out of feeding birds.  If a bag of seed isn't mixed with other seeds - I mix them.  Birds can select which ones they like.

I carry seeds out to feeders - one trip - in a plastic liquid container & just dump seeds in.

@fthunt ....I agree with you, I've never purchased all different seeds.  The reason why I am now, and dispensing each seed separately, is because I have a problem with Cowbirds taking over and devouring the seeds within minutes.   So I contacted my local Wild Bird and did some research.   So I've come up with,  offering safflower seeds, and peanuts,  and/or stop feeding for about a week.  Seems they dont like much other than the wild seed and sunflower,  and wont eat the safflower or peanuts.    That's why I feed all separate ...and sunflower attracts Cardinals, and mealworms attracts blue Jays and blue birds....So I top off seeds with those.     So basically   when the cowbirds are a nuisance,  I hold off on everything everything the 2 I mentioned.   So I can't mix it all together just yet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin   I feed safflower, black oil sunflower and woodpecker cylinders.  I feed the safflower in my hopper feeder so that the black birds don't get it.  I have a feeding station with a squirrel guard that has the hopper feeder and cylinder feeder.  The woodpeckers and bluebirds love the woodpecker cylinder that I buy at Wild Birds Unlimited.  This is in my back yard.

In my front yard in front of a window where Henry, my cat sits, I have a squirrel buster plus bird feeder.  The black birds are too heavy to use that feeder.

At both the safflower and sunflower feeders I have cardinals, tufted titmice, Carolina chickadees, Carolina wrens, finches and more.  I love to watch the birds.

This is the hopper feeder that I have.  I bought it at Wild Birds Unlimited.  It's called Eco-Tough, not wood, so it won't rot. I've had it for about fifteen years.

9ADEF774-364C-4F7D-BE1C-1487F253C4EA_4_5005_c.jpeg

I use the WBU Dinner Bell feeder for my cylinders.  It keeps chunks of the cylinder from falling on the ground when they've eaten a lot of it.

AB72B693-F569-45A4-8C19-78E2B39D5E80_4_5005_c.jpeg

These are cylinders.

DE37F5E2-7361-403C-A579-C4CEAB7F504F_4_5005_c.jpeg

I don't like to buy mixed seed.  Too much seed is wasted.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ...I love watching them too.  I like your feeders.    I have several different feeders...but I like tray types best.  So easy and convenient .  I just this week picked up a tray feeder built like a picnic table with benches attached for birds to hop on, so cute.   All have drainage holes, so when it rains nothing sits in water, and besides, nothing lasts very long around here.  I could replace seed just about daily. 

Pretty soon the hummers will return 😃

Honored Contributor

Some seeds will attract specific birds. I prefer safflower seeds sometimes because squirrels don’t like them. I also buy Wagner four season seed which comes in 12 lb buckets at Home Depot. I keep the buckets when empty and then add bagged seed to it to make my own mix and it is great place to store it. I don’t like keeping the seed in bags...I alwasy end up spilling it and what a mess.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Some seeds will attract specific birds. I prefer safflower seeds sometimes because squirrels don’t like them. I also buy Wagner four season seed which comes in 12 lb buckets at Home Depot. I keep the buckets when empty and then add bagged seed to it to make my own mix and it is great place to store it. I don’t like keeping the seed in bags...I alwasy end up spilling it and what a mess.

@lovesrecess   I feed safflower seeds because blackbirds don't like them.  I was having a hard time with blackbirds at my hopper feeder when I was feeding sunflower seeds.  I switched to safflower many years ago.  The other birds love it.  

I do feed sunflower seeds in my squirrel buster feeder.  The blackbirds are too heavy for it, and the holes close and won't let them eat.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau