Respected Contributor

SUGGESTIONS FOR STORING BIRDSEED AND DISPENSING

Since I have several bird feeders,  I buy large bags of seeds in various types.  I'm trying to keep each seed type  separate,  like, safflower, sunflower, peanuts, mealworms, and a huge bag wild bird seed.  I'm thinking to buy separate bins of different sizes to store and keep things neat.  Also I'm going back and forth dispensing each seed type because I cant carry out all different bags, and the wild bird seed mix is too heavy. I use large pet scoops to dish out seed  but what can I use to carry out a variety of different seeds without going back and forth?  I'm in Florida, so I store everything in my garage, nothing stays outside due to humidity and critters.  I have a decent size closet I desperately need to get organized with all this bird stuff.  Please reccomend solutions 🙂.

Honored Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR STORING BIRDSEED AND DISPENSING

You could use a wagon to bring the seed around to your feeders.  Here's a utility/garden wagon from Home Depot, or you could even use a children's wagon.

garden cart.jpg

QVC probably has something similar; I didn't check.

Contributor

Hey,

We retired to Florida 2.5 years ago and love it!  We put up a bird feeder and so far have house finches, doves and grackles which they said will leave here by April. I’m hoping to see cardinals!

Would lock and locks work?

Esteemed Contributor

Why keep the different seeds separate - manufacturers sell (and I buy) 5 lb bags of MIXED seeds - peanuts - sunflower seeds and 4 other kinds.  You're making too much work out of feeding birds.  If a bag of seed isn't mixed with other seeds - I mix them.  Birds can select which ones they like.

I carry seeds out to feeders - one trip - in a plastic liquid container & just dump seeds in.

Contributor

Ignore my suggestion for the lock and locks...I misunderstood what you were asking. Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@grandmatobe Lock & Lock..........well if you misunderstood OP's problem - then I did too.  Because sometimes I use L&L to transport seeds to feeders.  Not clear why your suggestion was wrong.  I agree with you.

Trusted Contributor

We purchased 10-20 (at least I think this is the size)gallon aluminum garbage cans with lids from Family Farm to store our bird seed. Hubby keeps the cup he uses for filling the seed in the can as well.

Respected Contributor

Appreciate the suggestions...heading to Walmart and Ross now.
Honored Contributor

We used to store out bird seed in Rubbermaid containers in our outdoor shed. The squirrels ate right through the Rubbermaid containers.

So my husband went out and bought varied sizes of galvanized trash cans. We can still leave the bird seed outside and the squirrels can't eat through steel. He also bought heavy duty 5 gallon white buckets with lids. They are marked that they can be used for food. They are so study that I think the only critter that can work it's way into the bucket would be a bear. The lids are secure so moisture and critters shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure if you have a place to store the bird seed outside. But it would make it easier to fill the feeders.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

We purchased 10-20 (at least I think this is the size)gallon aluminum garbage cans with lids from Family Farm to store our bird seed. Hubby keeps the cup he uses for filling the seed in the can as well.

I found a metal garbage can to be the best to prevent an infestation of mice.  I tried a big plastic can but they chewed a hole in the bottom of it.  First they infest your garage, then invite themselves into your house.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment