Honored Contributor

Rabbits invaded out neighborhood about 5 years ago.  I stopped planting winter pansies in the corner flowerbed because I was only feeding them.  I have a fenced yard and a large dog.  They have pretty much stayed out of my backyard.  This spring I have put Sluggo several times on a bed hostas right near my garden shed thinking the damage was slugs.  I was out weeding today and noticed there was a baby bunny watching me.  I pretty sure they are living under my shed (9 x 11) which is up on blocks.  Any suggestions for discouraging them - I don't want to murder baby bunnies!

Honored Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR RABBITS!

Wild rabbits nest is usually underground depending on the ages of the babies.  You only saw 1.  Believe me there are others.

If you find an above ground nest (their resting area) under the shed, you can move it elseware.  Wear gloves to move the babies because wild rabbits have mites & other cooties.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I would try and move the nest and then put some sort of barrier -- screening of some sort and sunk about 4-6" deep to discourage rabbits from digging under it to make a new nest.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

I've been using a spray called Animal B Gon for a while now. I get it from Amazon. It works well on squirrels and it's supposed to work on rabbits and other small animals. The only downside is that it must be reapplied after rain. It's supposed to be safe for animals and plants. Smells flowery.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac@JustJazzmom@Jasmine19,

This is large storage shed (9 x 11) and there is no way I can get under it.  I wonder if I use the spray that Bugonbike suggested and spray under it will work.  I am probably fighting a losing battle with the rabbits!

Regular Contributor

For the past few years I've used Shake Away. It's grandular and you shake it near the plants, reapplying after 2 weeks. That's it. Doesn't harm animals just repels them. It funny to watch them approach the area and turn away as they get near. Buy it from internet.

Trusted Contributor

Marigolds. Rabbits hate marigolds. Plant them as a barrier and interspersed througout your planting beds.

Also, you can use a garlic and rotten egg/hot pepper spray on your plants. It's available at most garden centers or through catalogs.

Honored Contributor

I would wait until the baby rabbits have left the nest before you seal the openings under your shed. Seeing that some are already wandering around means they are starting to be more independent -- kittens (also the name for newborn rabbits) are born fur less and with eyes closed. The mother rabbit usually hides the babies in the soil about 6-8" down with a nest of dried grass and belly fur from the mama. She then visits nightly to nurse them until they are old enough to start eating grass. It takes awhile before they are weaned and can eat other things like carrots and harder items to gnaw at.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Marigolds. Rabbits hate marigolds. Plant them as a barrier and interspersed througout your planting beds.

Also, you can use a garlic and rotten egg/hot pepper spray on your plants. It's available at most garden centers or through catalogs.

But slugs love marigolds!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom  Haven't had a problem with slugs eating marigolds but in my part of the country they love begonias!