Honored Contributor

STARLING MURMURATIONS - ASTOUNDING!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: STARLING MURMURATIONS - ASTOUNDING!

Oh my gosh - how did you find this?  Amazing

I still don't appreciate them hogging all the seeds from my feeder.. LOL  but do recognize how smart they are.

Thanks for providing this show of nature.

Respected Contributor

That is fascinating, beautiful, scary, and sureal, all at once.  Thanks for sharing.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

@fthuntThey sure do like to hog the feeder, and what bothers me most is they  are egg stealers, I've chased them away from our birdhouses because they start pulling the nest material out looking for eggs.

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@fthuntThey sure do like to hog the feeder, and what bothers me most is they  are egg stealers, I've chased them away from our birdhouses because they start pulling the nest material out looking for eggs.

@hayseed00   Many different birds do this, in fact, the chicadees will eat each other, horrified when I learned this of one of my favorite birds.  The scrub jays here will take baby doves and I assume any other baby.  I rescued the last one from a nest in a hanging fucshia one year and took it to the Wildlife Rescue.  I kept it in a picnic basket with a lid next to my grow lights overnight to keep it warm, along with some of the nesting material.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl  Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm going to share it with my children and grandchildren. Nature has such order and symmetry! I don't particularly like starlings, but this is amazing!

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl

The image of you rescuing a baby bird, putting it in a PICNIC BASKET and then placing it next to your grow lights in order to keep it warm has MADE MY DAY!

What a loving, gentle and sweet person you must be - I salute your kindness for looking after the little creature and then taking it to wildlife rescue.

You even put some of the nesting material in the picnic basket?! THE WORLD NEEDS MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU ASAP!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@hayseed00 wrote:

@hayseed00   Many different birds do this, in fact, the chicadees will eat each other, horrified when I learned this of one of my favorite birds.  The scrub jays here will take baby doves and I assume any other baby.  I rescued the last one from a nest in a hanging fucshia one year and took it to the Wildlife Rescue.  I kept it in a picnic basket with a lid next to my grow lights overnight to keep it warm, along with some of the nesting material.

@mousiegirl   I have read so much about birds and even have a book about chickadees.  I have never heard this.  I just Googled it and found nothing.  I find it extremely hard to believe.  What is your source?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarnieRez3 wrote:

@mousiegirl

The image of you rescuing a baby bird, putting it in a PICNIC BASKET and then placing it next to your grow lights in order to keep it warm has MADE MY DAY!

What a loving, gentle and sweet person you must be - I salute your kindness for looking after the little creature and then taking it to wildlife rescue.

You even put some of the nesting material in the picnic basket?! THE WORLD NEEDS MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU ASAP!

@MarnieRez3   Thank you, I have been an animal lover always.  I have rescued squirrels, other birds, rabbits, dogs, and wild and domestic cats through the years,   One year, I sat in the yard in the dark babysitting a small squirrel from a feral cat that tried to get it until wildlife rescue arrived, also two baby owls a week apart, now only have two little pups.  I could probably write a book of all of the animals that have come into my life. Smiley Happy  I am in Northern California.

The hanging basket had nesting material as that is where the Mourning Dove birthed her babies.  I had about twelve hanging baskets with fucshias and before long, there was a dove family in each basket, so I was able to watch the basket in front of the kitchen window as the doves gathered nesting material, how the parents called one another when one wanted to leave the nest, watched the babies being fed, and watched them fly for the first time, very thrilling for me.  The fucshias did not survive, but wildlife was more important.

I was told at Wildlife Rescue that wherever doves are born, they return year after year to birth their babies, so for all I know, the doves I hear now are offspring of decades ago, a nice thought.

Honored Contributor

Wow!  Truly amazing!  I would love to see something like that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau