Respected Contributor

Re: SQUIRRELS DIGGING IN POTTED PLANTS!

Maybe lay some chicken wire or screning over the dirt so that water gets through but digging is difficult.  squirrels and rabbits are over running the neighborhood.  I used to have expances of crocus in the front yard.  Not anymore...but they liked the purple ones least.  and they are digging up all the bulbs.  I found a nibbled bulb on the side walk.  Most of it was still there and it had started to sprout so I brought it home and stuck it in the dirt  by the stairs.  It's sprouting again.  Can't wait to find out What it is!  The suqirrels and bunnies would have to go through a patch of grape hyacynth to get to that bulb  and they Do not like grape hyacynth so it might just have a chance.

Valued Contributor

I can't say if this works or not but I've heard if you put moth balls in the pots with the soil, the critters will leave it alone. My Mom always dropped a few inthe holes when she planted bulbs due to the voles and squirels.

Frequent Contributor

Hard for me to see this thread, i had a pet squarrel, i named her claire, she was more like a dog. She was well behaved and very sweet. I would call her and she would always come. She loved for me to hold her. She was beautiful. So sorry your having trouble. I, wish you well with your situation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hear your pain!  Omg We have the 2 gray squirrels from H E double toothpicks.  I recommend 2 things critter ridder.  anywhere you sprinkle it they don't go.  Drawbacks are it weakens and dissipates with rain   You need to  reapply , it isn't cheap!  It's made from coyote urine or  something.  We had to do lawn.  They tore the whole lawn up.  Everyday we resodded it, then we put net over lawn.  Worked, but they damaged roots and didn't reattach....now we need new lawn,   The critter ridder  kept them away though.

Cayenne or even better , pure peppermint oil.  I put on rag near line I wanted them to stay away    It's a daily or every few day treatment.  Keeps away raccoons too and rodents

Esteemed Contributor

I can so identify with this....we love to watch their antics, but they sure do play havoc with my potted plants. I've tried a couple of things that work - some better than others:

- cover the soil in a potted plant with medium to large sized pebbles. The trick is to cover all of the soil. The little critters like loose soil, so the pebbles annoy them and they pretty much leave the pot alone. The problem is that it makes the pot heavy to move around.

- a heavy dose of Cayenne pepper on top of the soil and around fence baskets.....works okay except for when it rains, and then I have to start all over again sprinkling it over everything. Last year I bought an extra large size at WM. Squirrels don't like spicy anything...it doesn't harm them and they tend to avoid it....sometimes.

- someone already mentioned sticking plastic forks into the soil with the tines sticking up. I've found that works pretty good (most of the time).

- I've read that placing chicken wire on the top of the soil (cut to fit the pots) works well, but that didn't seem like an easy solution for me.

- a friend suggested sprinkling moth balls on top of the soil. I can't imagine how awful my patio would smell with moth balls in my flower pots, but maybe it works.

- don't put any peanuts out for the squirrels in the spring and summer.

I now have squirrel-proof bird feeders and they have been 98% successful....I'm sure I'll still struggle through spring with the potted plants though and keeping the raccoons out of the hummingbird feeders in the early morning hours.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 

I'm grateful for any and all suggestions .... but what's the deal with the mention of peanuts in your post?

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I use a product called Repels-All animal repellent. I use granules, it also comes in a spray.  Sprinkle or spray on soil around plants. I wouldn't be without it. It's easy to find...walmart, garden centers, online.  From Bonide...all natural. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

This question comes up often here.  Squirrels will dig where they see dirt.  I cover the top of the pot with pine cones so no dirt is visible.  It deters them, though some aren't fooled.

Regular Contributor

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel.  They are rats with fuzzy tales.