Honored Contributor

SQUIRRELS DIGGING IN POTTED PLANTS!

[ Edited ]

I know someone here must have a solution to squirrels digging into my potted plants. 

I replace and pack down the soil and the next day, the little monster has dug it up again.  I don't know if he buried something and was retrieving it, or chewing the roots .... or what.

Any suggestions on how to deal with squirrels ?  TIA

Mask  Mask  Mask

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SQUIRRELS DIGGING IN POTTED PLANTS!

I'm no help.

I used to plant cherry tomato plants in pots. Then there was a squirrel laying back (lounging) munching a cherry tomato in one hand. I quit planting cherry tomatoes.

I have found peanuts planted in my pots, flower beds and lawn.

Esteemed Contributor

Cat Scat Mat...............just found this a month ago - ordered - and received from Gardeners  in Vt.  Amazon has them too but bought GS $12.99 b/c it's an employee owned company.

It's a mat with pointed spikes that are kind to animals but prevents them from digging in gardens or cut to size for  pots.   On Gardeners website you can see all the applications and great reviews.  I have squirrel that like my raised garden...............

kind of a nice bed of nails - so to speak.   New product to me too..

Honored Contributor

They, or the chipmunks, also dig up new plants in the yard, not just potted plants.  It helps somewhat to cover the soil with decorative rocks.  Also, in the garden I stick plastic forks facing outwards around new plants.  Might work in pots too.  Some pots I have used wire mesh inside the pots that come out of the pot far enough to cover the soil to the stem and then use the rocks to hold it down.  Sure, they can still get the rocks out, and they can even chew through some wire mesh, but I haven't YET seen them digging in those post.  

BTW, a squirrel completely dug up a cyclamen potted plant the other day and ran off with it.  I never found it.  

Honored Contributor

I had neighbors that used to feed the squirrels peanuts and they would hide them in my pots but sinced they moved the problem is solved.  They also will dig up tulips and lilies to steal the bulbs.  

Honored Contributor

I can identify with this!  This past fall, I kept seeing the dirt dug up all around our light pole where we have bulbs planted and big holes.  I thought it was perhaps cats in the neighborhood doing it.  We had never had this problem before.  I would go out and fill in the hole and straighten it all out.  

The next thing you know--- dirt all over the place, large holes again!  One day I was looking out and there the little stinker was --- digging away!!!  We have a ton of squirrels in our area now.  I don't know if we have any bulbs left as I haven't checked.  It's doubtful.  I don't know what else you can do for this.  I think they are cute little guys and wouldn't want to harm them in any way but really this is very disheartening and I am not wanting to go out and buy more plants and go through the trouble of planting them if they are all going to be destroyed! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

A family member  purchased an owl statue for me.

I was skeptical until I saw the squirrels give it a very wide berth.

It's plastic with a real solid bottom, it has never tipped over in all kinds of weather.

The eyes glow in the dark.

It's about 8-10" tall

Mine is similar to this

owl.jpg

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I had neighbors that used to feed the squirrels peanuts and they would hide them in my pots but sinced they moved the problem is solved.  They also will dig up tulips and lilies to steal the bulbs.  

I'm a neighbor that feeds the squirrels. They are a  pest, but I just love them, nothing is out of their reach if they want it. I'm constantly screaming out my window, after their corn is gone and they want the bird seed.

Trusted Contributor

I have never planted daffodills in my yard but have them growing there anyway.  How?  Last year I saw a squirrel "planting" a bulb in my yard.  So there was my answer.  Someone's loss, my gain lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Le Creuset is having a big sale on now.  They have nice frying pans . . . Woman Frustrated Woman Embarassed

Squirrels ate holes around three windows in one house we lived in. We had to have new siding put up and then the back upstairs of the house painted!  Woman Frustrated  Who knew they ate houses?  They got in a friend's attic and created all sorts of havoc too. 

I don't know of anything, other than a frying pan, that will stop the little beggers from their paths of destruction.Woman Indifferent

By the way:  I'm kidding, but sometimes . . . Woman Very Happy