Honored Contributor

Re: SOMETHING GETTING INTO HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS ...

Question for the Hummer experts here .....  

Our primary hummer, Fritz, sits on the ficus most of the day, just about 4 feet from his feeder, probably to guard it more than anything else.   It appears that he spends the night in another larger tree about 20 feet away, where he can see his feeder at all times.

We have noticed a couple times that Fritz will show up around 1:30-2:00am and have a drink at the feeder, then go back to his nighttime tree.   Isn't that UNUSUAL ?   It seems rather dangerous that a little hummer would be flying anywhere at 2 in the morning ... I think.   

Have you ever noticed a hummer coming in for a nighttime snack?   I've never seen this before!  Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 ...im not up checking at 2 am or so...but sometimes I have a camera set and never picked up any bird feeding  at night.   It's said Hummingbirds will feed until dusk and return at early dawn to replenish themselves.   If it's still rather cold out, they'll feed consistently in the early morning to fight cold they may feel.  Only if there are lights outside during the night, they may come out to feed.  That's all I really know based on some research I've done.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 ...im not up checking at 2 am or so...but sometimes I have a camera set and never picked up any bird feeding  at night.   It's said Hummingbirds will feed until dusk and return at early dawn to replenish themselves.   If it's still rather cold out, they'll feed consistently in the early morning to fight cold they may feel.  Only if there are lights outside during the night, they may come out to feed.  That's all I really know based on some research I've done.

@Dazlin 

I think our little Fritz must feel very, very secure that he can travel over to the feeder and know the food is always there for him.   

I can't imagine any hungry bird would go out in the middle of the night to search for food.  Our feeder is a Sure Thing and open 24/7 for him, and he knows it.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 
My husband is up and down all night long due to pain in his feet and legs.  During the summer it is not unusual for him to go outside on the front porch and sit until he is ready for bed again.  

Our hummingbird feeder is hung on our front porch, and the birds are used to feeding while my husband is out there.  He says they come to the feeder all night long. We are anxious to see if that holds true this year, as in October of last year we were forced to take down the 122 year old tree they have always called home.

Our front yard is well lit, and the tree was only 10 feet from the porch, so it was easy and safe for the birds to get a drink all night.  We only have a lilac bush left in the front yard now, which seems to have several robin and wren nests in it already, so am not sure where our hummers will nest when they come, which should be anytime now.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

Really!   Well, I have been wondering about that ... never heard of hummers out at night.  If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country are you located?  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I am on the southern end of WV.