Respected Contributor

SOMETHING GETTING INTO HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS ...

Noticed the lid was slightly off, so I snapped it back on yesterday.   This morning it was completely off and all nectar was gone.  I have this particular one hanging from  a tree.  We are setting out a camera and a trap tonight.   Last week there was a racoon near my house...I have no idea if a racoon would climb up to drink sugar water.  It's hanging from twine on the branch of the tree.

I have 2 other feeders on Shephards hooks and those have not been disturbed.  

Respected Contributor

Re: SOMETHING GETTING INTO HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS ...

A raccoon sounds like the culprit. They are devious creatures. I have seen a photo of a bear drinking from a hummingbird feeder, but it was intact.

A word of caution is we are being asked in our area to not feed or attract birds to a common food source. A bird flu is spreading, and it seems safer to let the birds stay scattered in the wild to avoid infection.

Respected Contributor

My hummingbird feeder is on my deck. I am still waiting for them to arrive. Not able to put them in the yard because of squirrels.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

Noticed the lid was slightly off, so I snapped it back on yesterday.   This morning it was completely off and all nectar was gone.  I have this particular one hanging from  a tree.  We are setting out a camera and a trap tonight.   Last week there was a racoon near my house...I have no idea if a racoon would climb up to drink sugar water.  It's hanging from twine on the branch of the tree.

I have 2 other feeders on Shephards hooks and those have not been disturbed.  

@Dazlin 

Don't know where you are, but I'm in SoCal and thought I'd share what we deal with.  Every Spring we get what appears to be Baltimore Orioles that get nervy and drink on our hummer feeder.  They are about 4 times larger than a little Hummer.

They are quite greedy and I'm surprised they can get anything out of the little feeder holes!  They aren't here for the whole season, but I can tell they really upset Fritz, the hummingbird that lives in the ficus next to the feeder.  Fritz thinks that feeder is HIS, and he is clearly quite upset when those bully Orioles stop by for a drink.

Respected Contributor

I suspect the raccoon is your perpetrator.   A bear tore down our neighbors bird feeders (including hummingbird feeders) and was seen doing it.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Squirrels are pretty smart too (except when knowing to cross a street=road kill)!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I can assure you raccoons do have a sweet tooth.  We had a pet one once that would come running when we shook a box of candy.  Also, they are the only creature in the garden whose paws are dexterous enough to remove a lid.  They are like little hands plus the animal is super smart.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The squirrels around here drive me and my little dog crazy. I quit trying to have bird feeders.

Respected Contributor

Camera is set and nothing came around.   The feeder has not been disturbed.   I'm keeping an eye as much as possible. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  I used to have the same problem with Bullock's Orioles here in Southern Colorado.  They dominated my hummingbird feeders until I got them one of their own.  It has a cup in the middle for grape jelly (which I water down a bit with the hummingbird nectar = sugar water) and prongs for orange halves.  Over the winter I bought a second Oriole feeder that includes a reservoir for nectar.  I haven't put it out yet because I can't remember where I put it... but maybe it will come to me before they get here.  Smiley Happy