Honored Contributor

Re: Roses, roses, roses and loss of identity, JJM

[ Edited ]

I feel the same way about some of the Knockouts. I like the double ones rather than the single flower ones. I only have one Knockout among my roses --'Double Knockout'; it is a nicer looking red than the original 'Knockout'.

I'm very careful when using weed killers. I have a pump sprayer that I only use for anti desiccant needing plants for winter.

I had to spray some poison ivy (it looked like it) through my picket PVC fencing and was very careful to just hit those leaves and nothing else. I doubt he was aware that it was on their property.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Re: Roses, roses, roses and loss of identity, JJM

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

JJM, had a mini emergency with DH's pacemaker and had to slip away for a while  I have Carefree Beauty, absolutely one of my best, about 8-ft tall and very wide.  Belinda's Dream is another of the Chamhlees roses that does well for me.  Do you have it?   Such big lush blooms, similar to a quartered rose.  

@Nonametoday  I have it and it is beautiful!

MousieGirl,  I will love to see your garden.  I love roses.  

I once grew around 500 but (and the reason I often allude to Roundup) my DH got mixed up (he has had 2 strokes) and put MiracleGro on my roses but mixed it in the same container as we have for RoundUp which still had enough RoundUp from the morning that I had used on the brush and Wisteria that is at the back of our property and which is trying to take down some trees.  

It killed around 300 roses.  I had gorgeous roses, HTs, teas, Gallicas, Chinas, Noisettes, Hybrid Perpetuals etc.,  from everywhere that I had imported and people living abroad who I had met through travels, had gifted, me that I had to put in quarantine for the county agents to inspect periodically.  I still have 100-150 remaining but most of the very delicate, very beautiful ones are gone.  Of course some are ramblers that are once bloomers and some ugly old Knockouts.  I had them in a garden alone for my husband, which he loves.  I do not like Knockout but to each his own. It seems they all lived.  Argh.  

@Nonametoday  Oh no, how crushing!  I have many threads in Garden, here, entitled "My Roses, My Daylilies, My Perennials, etc." and I have floated them to the top of the page so I can have easy access.  I think you will have to go through Garden to find the threads.