Honored Contributor

Re: Roses, roses, roses and loss of identity, JJM

[ Edited ]

My Mystic Beauty is darker than that.  I did get mine from Pat and Bill.  I think they are brother and sister but not sure.  They have had the nursery for years together.  Mine is almost like a grandiflora now, about 4-feet tall.  It smell good too.  

I see they have listed it as a sport of KPV but I was told (back about 2002) that it was a sport of SDLM.  That would make more sense that it is a sport of KPV since the size would be more in line.  Ah.  I think one of the salespersons at RU told me wrong but that is okay, she is still a beauty.  I am not really a rose snob.  Ha ha.

Honored Contributor

If you like pink roses that are fragrant I'm going to recommend the disease resistant 'Quietness' or 9-11 rose. I got it last year from Roses Unlimited and it is now at about 4' high (own root). In bloom now. but let me get a recent photo to show. Taken in late May of this year:

'Quietness' Buck Rose.JPG

This picture taken in July 2015:

'Quietness' rose.JPG

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, your Quietness is beautiful.  I have one but mine looks so bad right now.  We have had several days of heat almost 100 and rain, rain, rain.  

It is a Buck rose.  Yours is gorgeous.  I guess you know the story of Quietness and 9/11.  

Mine does not tolerate the heat and rain but in early spring and October it is the sweetest rose I have, I think.  

It is so much fun talking roses with you.  I rarely have the opportunity to talk to "real\" rose people since we have moved.  i was an active member and officer in our rose society for many years and then we moved at about the same time that roses started losing their charm with others, so there are very few "real" rose people in my area here.  They like to come by and see.  I have a wrought iron fence and gate, so it is easy for them to be seen from the street.  I loved sharing them with passerbys when I had a bed in my  front yard, sharing the fragrance and a bloom when I would be outside working in them.   I enjoyed that as much as growing them.

Honored Contributor

You mention how a rose looks in your area and how it does, we have the same situation where a rose that does fantastic elsewhere does awful by our area.

'Carefree Beauty' one of the first disease resistant roses to get the 'Earth Kind' designation from Texas A & M is the 'control' rose for studies from them. Here on LI it is one of the worst in terms of disease resistance -- gets horrible black spot, leaf drop but initially in the spring (now) is a fragrant rose.

This rose is being used again as a control rose for a new trial study in conjunction with the University of Wisconsin who are asking us to trial the Oso Easy roses. Right now the roses are the size of small cuttings (less than a foot). This trial is expected to run for about 2-3 years here.

Honored Contributor

JJM, had a mini emergency with DH's pacemaker and had to slip away for a while  I have Carefree Beauty, absolutely one of my best, about 8-ft tall and very wide.  Belinda's Dream is another of the Chamhlees roses that does well for me.  Do you have it?   Such big lush blooms, similar to a quartered rose.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday Belinda's Dream is in the Extension Demo rose garden and does very nicely here. One of the MG favorites when we evaluate in August how plants are doing.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I just took this photo now and apologize for the spent buds on it and the water (it recently rained here)  Tag is visible but you can get an idea of the height of the plant and its habit from the photo. @Nonametoday

'Souvenir de La Malmaison' Bourbon rose.JPG

@JustJazzmom  There is a climbing version, but I only have the bush, and I find it very finicky.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Oh, your Quietness is beautiful.  I have one but mine looks so bad right now.  We have had several days of heat almost 100 and rain, rain, rain.  

It is a Buck rose.  Yours is gorgeous.  I guess you know the story of Quietness and 9/11.  

Mine does not tolerate the heat and rain but in early spring and October it is the sweetest rose I have, I think.  

It is so much fun talking roses with you.  I rarely have the opportunity to talk to "real\" rose people since we have moved.  i was an active member and officer in our rose society for many years and then we moved at about the same time that roses started losing their charm with others, so there are very few "real" rose people in my area here.  They like to come by and see.  I have a wrought iron fence and gate, so it is easy for them to be seen from the street.  I loved sharing them with passerbys when I had a bed in my  front yard, sharing the fragrance and a bloom when I would be outside working in them.   I enjoyed that as much as growing them.

@Nonametoday  I grow one hundred fifty-five roses.  Have you seen "My Roses" in this forum?  There are some beauties there.  I have bought from all over during the last over twenty years.

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

JJM, had a mini emergency with DH's pacemaker and had to slip away for a while  I have Carefree Beauty, absolutely one of my best, about 8-ft tall and very wide.  Belinda's Dream is another of the Chamhlees roses that does well for me.  Do you have it?   Such big lush blooms, similar to a quartered rose.  

@Nonametoday  I have it and it is beautiful!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@Nonametoday  I have it and it is beautiful!

MousieGirl,  I will love to see your garden.  I love roses.  

I once grew around 500 but (and the reason I often allude to Roundup) my DH got mixed up (he has had 2 strokes) and put MiracleGro on my roses but mixed it in the same container as we have for RoundUp which still had enough RoundUp from the morning that I had used on the brush and Wisteria that is at the back of our property and which is trying to take down some trees.  

It killed around 300 roses.  I had gorgeous roses, HTs, teas, Gallicas, Chinas, Noisettes, Hybrid Perpetuals etc.,  from everywhere that I had imported and people living abroad who I had met through travels, had gifted, me that I had to put in quarantine for the county agents to inspect periodically.  I still have 100-150 remaining but most of the very delicate, very beautiful ones are gone.  Of course some are ramblers that are once bloomers and some ugly old Knockouts.  I had them in a garden alone for my husband, which he loves.  I do not like Knockout but to each his own. It seems they all lived.  Argh.