Trusted Contributor

What is your favorite rose bush you have had?

What is your best performing rose bush you have had ? ( most prolific, most disease resistant, or do you have a favorite color or fragrance)

Do you have better luck with hybrid teas or David Austing/

I used to love growing roses when i was younger, not able to do it anymore but have been tempted to try one in a pot on my porch.

Honored Contributor

Peace - Easy keeper that requires little fussing.  Prolific bloomer with creamy pale yellow blooms with a raspberry blush in center of the bloom.  Highly fragrant.  Disease and insect resistant.  I prune it in the spring, throw a handful of Bayer Fertilizer on it every 6 weeks in summer and water...that's it.  My bush is about 30 years old, over 6ft high.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 My mother's favorite was a Peace...and mine. I love the subtle color change and they have been prolific in the backyard. 

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1    As long as it gets lots of sun, you could easily grow miniature roses in a pot on your porch.  They come in such pretty colors

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Knockout Roses have been the easiest roses for me to grow.  I have tried a few others, but there would always be some kind of problem with them after the first year.  Knockouts have been the most consistent performers with very little care after the first season.  They are easy to trim and bloom from spring through fall (I'm on Long Island). They come in several colors as well. 

Honored Contributor

Mr. Lincoln is a favorite of mine. (I've got one growing in a big pot that survived the winter.) I think it's still the best red rose. I also love Tropicana, Double Delight, Peace, Perfume Delight, and others. Some love Chrysler Imperial, but it's never done well for me.

I used to line my backyard with roses (over fifty of them), but then my old neighbor objected to rose sprays and it just became easier to give up the roses than put up with her complaints. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I also like the Knockout roses.   I used to grow only tea roses but now it's Knockout for me.  They're a shrub rose.  They're disease and insect resistant, drought resistant, etc.

Very easy to grow.  And beautiful.  They bloom into the early fall.  Last year I even bought some mini yellow ones to plant in an outdoor planter.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have 21 rose bushes of all kinds. Blaze (climbing) and my John F Kennedy are my oldest. (40 yrs old)

I have 6 "fairy rose" bushes that do well too.

The Knock-out rose bushes do the best with little care. My Tea rose bushes seem prone to disease and insects....so I have to baby those.

Honored Contributor

Re: Roses anyone ?

[ Edited ]

@webbgarner1   I prefer the David Austin and such roses, pretty much carefree.  Tea need losts of feeding and watering, not to mention hard pruning, the old roses don't, so I grow mostly the old, do have some teas, but when they die, if they don't outlive me, that's it for me with the tea roses.  The scent of the old roses is like no other, many teas don't have a scent.

Pure Perfume, a Jackson & Perkins rose, is white and has the most heavenly scent, great for cutting also, considered a shrub rose.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Roses anyone ?

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624   I love the mini roses, must have at least thirty, and grow them in seven gallon black garden pots, most grow to about three feet tall and wide.