Trusted Contributor

Rose of Sharon Bushes - Toxic to Dogs??

I have 5 Rose of Sharon bushes in my yard.  We just got a Husky puppy and I just learned that these are toxic to dogs.  Do I need  to pull the bushes?

Honored Contributor

Re: Rose of Sharon Bushes - Toxic to Dogs??

This is from the ASPCA..............

Rose of Sharon
Additional Common Names: Hibiscus, Rose of China
Scientific Name: Hibiscus syriacus
Family: Malvaceae
Toxicity: Non-Toxic to Dogs, Non-Toxic to Cats, Non-Toxic to Horses
Toxic Principles: Unknown
BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@MrsCat21, I have almost two acres of gardens.  I have had dogs for 40 years.  I have never had a dog that ate my plants.  Has anyone ever had that happen?  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Speaking as a former Husky owner, my Husky chewed, bit, and tasted everything. That dog had everything in his mouth.

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge, OMG!  My dogs are Labs.  Now they love food like the best of them but have never touched one of my plants.  Good to be careful of warnings then!  LM

Super Contributor

For some reason when the flowers fall off the rose of sharon my Yorki loves to chew on them.  She's only 10 lbs and has never had a reaction from them.   She doesn't seem interested in the leaves. 

Honored Contributor

When I had my Westie, I also had a hedge of Rose of Sharon all the way across my back boundary line.  Lots of bay plants trying to grow elsewhere in the yard, too.

The dog never showed any signs of illness in spite of spending lots of time in that yard.

Honored Contributor

@MrsCat21

Some dogs like to eat plants; some dogs don't.

There are conflicting reports about the toxicity of Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus).  And it may also have to do with how much, if any, of the plant your dog might eat.  

According to Wag, "the gastrointestinal distress that is caused by the consumption of this plant rarely lasts longer than 12 to 24 hours."

Image result for rose of sharon toxic to dogs

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.