Respected Contributor
Thinking positively! Any suggestions about roses for area prone to black spot and fungus. Looking at Jackson and Perkins catalogs and only few listed. (I think I will put fence around my bushes this year to ward off deer- I miss my roses.)
Respected Contributor

Re: Rose Suggestions

[ Edited ]

Try Knock-out brand roses - they're disease resistent.  They're shrub roses - I have a bunch of them - love 'em.  So much better than tea roses.  You should have no trouble buying them locally.  I've bought them at Lowes and KMart.

Respected Contributor
@ FranandZoe
Appreciate your Knockout suggestion but I had two- one taken out last year and pulling one this spring. One looked sick and aware that disease with Knockouts killing many.
Honored Contributor

Re: Rose Suggestions

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom 

If you are using Jackson & Perkins catalog look for the words ‘German bred’ or Kordes roses. Highly disease resistant.

I buy own root roses vs. grafted & several reputable companies online are available.

Chamblees, Heirloom, Roses Unlimited & High Country Roses all sell own root roses. Look for the Kordes ones.

Earth Angel, Savannah & Plum Perfect are very fragrant & disease resistant.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
@ FranandZoe
Appreciate your Knockout suggestion but I had two- one taken out last year and pulling one this spring. One looked sick and aware that disease with Knockouts killing many.

Wow - sorry to hear this - I've had them for years - never a problem.  They're very hardy too for our Northeast winters.   

Honored Contributor

Our knockout roses also developed a disease. Also, the ones that the deer could reach became flower less.

Honored Contributor

Best rose I ever had was a big beautiful Queen Elizabeth!  It was tall, vigorous and survived everything. 

Honored Contributor

Queen Elizabeth is a very pretty rose. I also love Mr. Lincoln, Double Delight, Perfume Delight, Tropicana, and more. I used to give my roses a weekly spraying to prevent/control disease and insect issues, so I can't speak to their resistance if unsprayed. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Queen Elizabeth is a very popular grandiflora rose but it isn't disease resistant.

Some that are: Strike It Rich, About Face, Madame Anisette, Sunshine Daydream & Mother of Pearl.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

What kind of sun exposure? Is there a drainage issue?