New Contributor

Re: Rose Rosette

[ Edited ]

Yet another victim of Rose Rosette. I am so sorry for that. I have written to QVC to no avail.  Why are they still selling rose bushes? If I ask if a bush is Rose Rosette resistant, they answer:''It is disease resistant'' What does that mean exactly, please be more specific in answering my question. Fellow rose fans, you can help by contacting Cottage farm and other rose companies who sell on QVC.  Post an email to Carolyn, I am sure that she is aware of the problem. The public needs to be educated in order to stop propagating the disease. All of us should keep up to date and if you are not familiar with the symptoms, simply google Rose Rosette on line. They teach you what to do with affected bushes. In the meantime, I am growing hardy hibiscus but nothing replaces roses and their attributes.

Here is a helpul link for all: https://www.provenwinners.com/learn/pest-management/what-rose-rosette-disease

Honored Contributor

Re: Rose Rosette

[ Edited ]

@dbeaud wrote:

Yet another victim of Rose Rosette. I am so sorry for that. I have written to QVC to no avail.  Why are they still selling rose bushes? If I ask if a bush is Rose Rosette resistant, they answer:''It is disease resistant'' What does that mean exactly, please be more specific in answering my question. Fellow rose fans, you can help by contacting Cottage farm and other rose companies who sell on QVC.  Post an email to Carolyn, I am sure that she is aware of the problem. The public needs to be educated in order to stop propagating the disease. All of us should keep up to date and if you are not familiar with the symptoms, simply google Rose Rosette on line. They teach you what to do with affected bushes. In the meantime, I am growing hardy hibiscus but nothing replaces roses and their attributes.

Here is a helpul link for all: https://www.provenwinners.com/learn/pest-management/what-rose-rosette-disease

When a rose is listed as disease resistant it means resistant to fungal diseases like blackspot & anthracnose. All roses are susceptible to the virus rose rosette disease.

Rose rosette disease is thought to be spread by mites flyng from wild roses (multiflora roses) to the cultivated ones we have in our gardens. 

In my experience, aphids which are also sucking insects, spread it. I had in the past aphids on some new growth on a ‘Hot Cocoa’ and saw rose rosette on it the following year. I removed the plant rather than try to save it by removing the affected canes. 

That was an informative article from Proven Winners. 

Please note that sometimes when people see glyphosate or Roundup damage on roses, think it’s RRD. Try not to use Roundup, if you really have to on a windy day. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼