Honored Contributor

Re: Rose Rosette Disease!

[ Edited ]

@SchippyLuv  Once the rose gets RRD it has to be completely removed including all the roots. We haven't been told to remove healthy roses yet, but keep observing them for those symptoms. I'm on LI, NY.

It is spread by specific mites (eriophyid) that are wind blown to cultivated roses.

I would say within the past 5-10 years it has been here, probably since Sandy superstorm. 

Thanks for that video. Texas has been decimated with their rose industries & this disease. 

The Biltmore Estate with their roses in NC are also having problems with this disease according to a plantsman I spoke to early one AM when we were visiting it. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

@JustJazzmom 

Hi!

I didn't remove any healthy roses - my whole bed of roses was affected at once - I looked out one Spring morning in 2017 and they just looked funny. After much research I determined that I had Rose Rosette Disease. They had the classic deformed buds, huge multiple thorns and bright red witches broom. I had no choice but to dig up every one, tightly bag them and put them in the trash. 

I was just sick...

Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv  What a shame! I wonder if those leaf blowers are contributing to the spread of this disease too? 

I have hydrangeas too but in various shaded areas of my backyard. 

Honored Contributor

Ordered a different replacement rose from an own root rose company in SC called Roses Unlimited. They will be sending me a rose called: 'Bliss Parfuma' as 'Cubana' is sold out!

It is fragrant and won the German rose award (ADR winner) in 2017.

Bliss™ Parfuma® close up

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry for you, @JustJazzmom -- I had to have an entire hedge of Red Knockouts removed 3 years ago because of Rose Rosette.  There is no cure and no way to prevent it.  (sound familiar?)  

The year after that, I had to have 3 Rainbow Knockouts removed for Rose Rosette... and then 3 other Red Knockouts removed from around our deck.  They were all gorgeous for the first few years, but now they are all gone.  I will never buy a knockout rose again, ever.  Ever.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Rose Rosette Disease!

[ Edited ]

@tototwo  The problem is the vector (that mite) & it's host -- multiflora rose. If there are any of those plants growing in your community, they should be dug out. Knock Outs are great shrub roses. But this disease affects ALL cultivated roses. In the past I've seen it on 'Hot Cocoa', 'Julia Child', 'Pinktopia' &  'The Fairy' rose. It can affect any rose. Some were in public gardens & some were in private gardens. It's unfortunate that this affected your Knock Outs. 

Many large public rose gardens are dealing with this disease. It's just sad. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom  -- I know.... that's why I had all my knockouts dug out, roots and all.  It was expensive - ha! The only rose I have left is an old, old climber out on my arbor.  So far, it's OK.   I'm kind of anti-rose now.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt